2006 Indmar 383 with SPN 66017 code >

2006 Indmar 383 with SPN 66017 code

Notices

2006 Indmar 383 with SPN 66017 code

Old 08-16-2015, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts
Default 2006 Indmar 383 with SPN 66017 code

Friends Malibu ski boat with a Indmar 383 and MEFI-5 is throwing code 66017 (Fuel Pump Relay 1 Voltage Below Normal or Shorted Low). The engine starts but will not allow it to rev more then about 1400 rpm or so. It has 3 relays, main power, Fuel pump and don't know what the third is used for.

It all started after he had issues with low battery which set codes for all his injectors. Replaced batteries and erased all codes and this one keeps coming back up. I downloaded the service manual and have yet to start the testing procedure, but could sure use a wiring diagram.

Swapped the 3 relays around all which ways, and remove/re-installed the connectors on the ECM. Was hoping for a bad connection, but no help. Anyone know where to get a wiring diagram or seen this fault code before?

We traced and rang out all wires and believe either need a new ECM or get the one we have re-flashed.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:21 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

right up my little world here and a good puzzle at that. First things first - U have to watch out what you are doing here especially swapping relays and if power is on continuously because you will be buy a new MEFI 5 for this app.

Fault code or in Indmar terms is DTC = diagnostic trouble code and for your code SPN 66017 is a 3 part here depending

FMI 5 = fuel pump short low
FMI 6 Fuel Pump short High
FMI 7 fuel pump open circuit

You have the 3 main relays here.

MEFI systems relay or ( what GM calls it Powertrain Relay) this for the ign coil and the ign module, and the fuel injectors and the 02 heaters then of course J connector to the ECM.

Next is the Starter control relay

next is your problem circuit

Fuel pump relay as I said above FMI 5 thru 7 for relay being shorted low or high or open

to go into details and write a story book on how to test this Sorry I do not have the time at the moment.

What I will do is explain the circuit hopefully some insight to help.

when the ign key is turned on the control module enables the fuel pump relay and this will supply the voltage to the fuel pump. The fuel pump will remain enable if the engine is running or while cranking the engine over and only as well if the control module is receiving reference ign pulses. with that said if there is NO reference pulses - the control module will shut the fuel pump off. the control module monitors the voltage on the fuel pump circuit so if it detects incorrect voltage at the fuel pump relay control circuit it will set a fault code. IMO you will need to do ground testing of the fuel pump control circuit. The ECM is receiving incorrect voltage. I would even test voltage at the fuel pump as well also check its connections very closely. Also check back side engine ground(s)

Last edited by BUP; 08-16-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Registered

Will do some more voltage measuring but we swapped relays when the engine was off. Agree the three relays are main, start slave and fuel pump. The start sequence is always wait until the pump stops running and then turn the key. Some times it start instantly and another time it takes 2 to 3 seconds and fires up. in all cases the error shows shows back up. Code is with fuel pump short or low. The concerning puzzle is it all started after the batteries went about dead
Old 08-16-2015, 07:45 PM
BUP
Banned

Have to run - so try clearing the DTC (fault code) properly - You said you have the manual correct.

what is voltage while running the engine at the battery(s) and at the the starter and at the Alternator ? Test it with power on then with key on and then with engine running - any voltage drop during that testing.

there is a trouble shooting list in the manual for DTC 66017. You can follow that. I do not have the manual here in front of me but in storage

Last edited by BUP; 08-16-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Registered

so try clearing the DTC (fault code) properly
I'm using my Rinda scan tool to clear the code. With the key on and engine not running I select erase codes, and it does. We restart the engine and within 20 seconds the check engine light shows up and the code has returned.

We have the manual and have gone thru all the steps except using the scan tool to turn the pump on/off. Figure the pump is currently being turned on/off by the ECM.

Last edited by AllDodge; 08-17-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:38 AM
BUP
Banned

Report the steps you did and what is exactly going on currently to a T so I can look at it and think about it. Hopefully I can pin point your problem you have. can you give me the engine serial number for your app very important here. What kind of battery was installed and hopefully all power was off when you were changing relays out and even reinstalling the battery ? correct ? I will relook for your post about the info I need and again explain all of it to T. I bet I can figure it out. I will be available later.

Need the engine serial number - where is this boat located and any saltwater use and or corrosion or moisture issues that you can see of ?
Old 08-17-2015, 10:44 AM
BUP
Banned

Forgot tell me what service manual you are using as well or even put up a pic of it if you want to. Just saying.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Registered

When switching relays we did not disconnect the battery,
Will get serial number from the owner but may take a while. Owner lives in IN and boat is in TN, fresh water use only and inside and out side of the boat and engine is spotless, he is a clean freak.

Got my manual from http://www.bakesonline.com/boatinfo.aspx
And it's Indmar Service & Diagnostic Manual: MEFI 5 & 5A http://www.bakesonline.com/images/Me...5-5Amanual.pdf
Old 08-17-2015, 01:37 PM
Registered

Batteries are group 34 and Orbital Blue top

Still working on the serial number, waiting for a call back
Old 08-17-2015, 02:49 PM
BUP
Banned

Ok I will look for it later tonite or in the mourning and start the thinking process at that timeframe. have to run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.