What do these bearings tell you? >

What do these bearings tell you?

Notices

What do these bearings tell you?

Old 10-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Water temp never moved. Oil temp on only one engine went up to about 240. Maybe a minute or so at that temp
Where is your oil temp measured, pre cooler or post cooler? I don't see 240 degree oil temp pre cooler causing this. I see it possibly being a symptom of the meltdown happening. What RPM were you at when this burned down, cruise or WOT? From the pictures the skirt clearance looks like it could have been tight, but if it was running lean and detonating you could have the same problem.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:29 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

MT can you post a pic of the plate with the holes drilled in it on your pickups? I'd like to see it as I think I'll do the same. Thanks
Old 10-12-2015, 07:34 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

It was about 5200. Afr at that rpm was probably 12's. I have to go by memory cause its tough to write legibly at those speeds. I honestly don't know if that's before or after the cooler. I'm using the threaded fittings on the remote oil filter/ thermostat housings. I'd have to trace the lines to determine before or after the coolers. Is there a standard it should have been set up for?
Old 10-12-2015, 07:37 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by SB
WOW ! You had some hardware !
These engines were spec'd for a 357 formula with kaama's and a wet exhaust. They are now in a different boat. * note going from tall deck to short requires new tailpipes. Who woulda thought 4/10ths would make such a difference?

Last edited by bck; 10-12-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
MT can you post a pic of the plate with the holes drilled in it on your pickups? I'd like to see it as I think I'll do the same. Thanks
I'll try to get some close ups next weekend of them. This is all i have for now, which isnt very helpful
Attached Thumbnails What do these bearings tell you?-20150730_202538.jpg  
Old 10-12-2015, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
These engines were spec'd for a 357 formula with kaama's and a wet exhaust. They are now in a different boat. * note going from tall deck to short requires new tailpipes. Who woulda thought 4/10ths would make such a difference?
I made it work in my Donzi with an oversize ring and you could never tell. But then again I'm not a professional rigger I'm just a grease monkey and knuckle buster.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:52 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

They were off pretty far. I've got pics somewhere. No way it was going together without cutting/ welding.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:54 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I'll try to get some close ups next weekend of them. This is all i have for now, which isnt very helpful
Thanks. Even after cleaning the strainers the intake had a baseball sized wad of seaweed up inside it. I have the exact same pic you do. If you blow it up you can see the intake. No screen at all and it was plugged.
Attached Thumbnails What do these bearings tell you?-z1010001-1-.jpg  

Last edited by bck; 10-12-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
It was about 5200. Afr at that rpm was probably 12's. I have to go by memory cause its tough to write legibly at those speeds. I honestly don't know if that's before or after the cooler. I'm using the threaded fittings on the remote oil filter/ thermostat housings. I'd have to trace the lines to determine before or after the coolers. Is there a standard it should have been set up for?
On the remote filter is most likely before the cooler. (The way most stuff is rigged) You can get a bunch of discussions about where and why you should check oil temp before/after cooler. Mine was always before, and ran 230 all day long for 5 years, with no issues.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Crap, I missed your reply. Yes the filter housing is pre cooler, so 240 wouldn't have me worked up as to the cause of the failure. I am really curious what your skirt clearance is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.