Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Out of the box heads? >

Out of the box heads?

Notices

Out of the box heads?

Old 10-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mild, you have a desk top dyno program, would you be willing to punch a couple different combos in? It is winter now haha and I am quite serious about head upgrades. If you were willing I can start a new thread as I'm sure others would be interested.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
Mild, you have a desk top dyno program, would you be willing to punch a couple different combos in? It is winter now haha and I am quite serious about head upgrades. If you were willing I can start a new thread as I'm sure others would be interested.
I do, and I also have a dump truck! PM me your email and we can talk about your setup.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

40 man hours just on the combustion chamber design..I love my head guy. No mass produced product can deliver quality and attention to detail like that.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

[QUOTE=ICDEDPPL;4364420]40 man hours just on the combustion chamber design..I love my head guy. No mass produced product can deliver quality and attention to detail like that.
[IMG]http://33outlaw.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v85/p428985154

I agree 100% Dan! Until someone gets to experience this type of work first hand and the benefits it yields, they would never use out of the box again. I make sure that I take care of my cyl head guy and his employees when he completes the maintenance on my heads!
Old 10-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

^^^ agreed 100%

Anyone near Chicago Mike @ High Flow heads is one hell of a guy, honest as the day is long and 30+ years of experience. I`ve used him for more than 15 years and been never disappointed.

https://www.facebook.com/Hi-Flow-Hea...6818/timeline/
Old 10-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 33 Posts

u gotta love the sharpie as his blueprinting dye
and do agree after 40 yrs of being around motor builds
very few hard parts are used out of box for a good build
Old 10-10-2015, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I’ve really been getting into (kind of forced to) heads this summer and fall (was working on a set today). Well, big block Chevy heads since that’s what I have on 4 motors. I now have spring pocket drill bits and auger, valve seal bits, measuring tools, straight edges, lapping tools, assorted shims, homemade head stands, homemade triple spring compressor and an assortment of porting and polishing tools from my Dremmel to air die grinders and a number of metal files.
I use to just bolt on like a lot of folks and I can see why because I have been collecting tools for years and don’t have anything even close to what the guy does in the videos. And it seems like I’m light years from the bolt on and pray days but along with not having all the right tools, I still don’t know crap. Lucky enough I bought a couple sets that were both ported and polished by Crane and Mullen & Co so I got great examples on what porting and polishing is supposed to look like. Spent a lot of time on-line learning about lapping valves and how it should look when done. How to measure keeper heights, the compressed heights, the seal height and how to cut new if needed. About standard, over size and undersize keepers and standard, over size and undersize locks, 7 degrees, 11 degrees, steel, stainless steel, titanium …. Ugghhhh!!!!
It gets a little overwhelming and I can see why most would rather just leave it up to their machinist. But I wonder how many do what this guy does? I have a hard time just finding someone that will put a valve guide in. I guess that’s why people ship him stuff and brand new stuff at that. Shame it has to be that way.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:01 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The video says it's a Tom Rockwell race car production, but it looks like the presentation is by Mark Jones/ Vortec Pro. So does anyone know who is actually in the video and what sort of reputation or motivation he has? A quick glance at the search results for those names showed me a basic website for Rockwell and link to a yellow bullet thread where Mark/ Vortec is being called out as a scammer in a very long winded post that I didn't care to read. He has a video about cracked/ damaged valves in a head manufactured in 2006 in a video dated 2013. Says it's only been down the track 70 times. Who knows? I've got no reason to disbelieve him, but I've got no reason to believe him either.

Last edited by bck; 10-10-2015 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:24 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Duplicate
Old 10-10-2015, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Mine were not even close to bolt on ready, wish I would not have been "sold" on them and bought bare like I wanted.
Valako is the man around MI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.