Out of the box heads?

Notices

Out of the box heads?

Old 10-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
Valako is the man around MI
Yeah Jim is a great guy that I wouldn't hesitate to do business with. We haven't yet but we have had some great convo. There's some other good options also. Most importantly to at least have someone check them out. Todays heads are amazing out of the box, but still require custimization to match our high performance custom engines!

My new "Race Ready" blocks that I was told were ready to assemble required LOTS of work also.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing is "ready to run" out of the box!

Anyone who ASSumes that an aftermarket item is ready to go without measuring and checking all aspects of sad part is rolling the dice.

So far this year, off the top of my head and on this site, we have seen;

A bogus pair of heads from AFR

A quick fuel carb that was not even close to what it was supposed to be.

Tims block with tight lifter bores

In my world this year:

A custom ground cam from crower for my 440 that was ground incorrectly (yeah, you gotta degree them)

A crower EDM solid flat lifter with no oil hole in the band

A piston ring from CP that was "eggl shaped

A fel pro head gasket for a 440 chrysler with no oil feed hole in it (RB chrysler a oil the top end through a passage
In the deck)

Our local machine shop has a saying......"if it comes in a box, it's probably wrong"

None of this is really new. It's common and is exactly why throwing stuff together and trusting that things are what they are supposed to be is a recipe for failure.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
What is your guys take on these videos?
its crap for few reasons,just to let you know,that carbide guide insert can be bent,set the head up w/ a slight tilt and it will cut 1 side(both seats he did) like he did.thats why you need a floating head machine like a serdi to do valves right.aslo your relying on him pushing a tapered guide insert in straight,not gonna happen whe it basiclly grabs at 1 point in the guide.too many variables in the way he tests and cuts seats.
as I said,garbage.
and in the second video,like how he just throws the blts and ratchet off the valve guides,just an idiot at that point..
Old 10-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

[QUOTE=sutphen 30;4364
and in the second video,like how he just throws the blts and ratchet off the valve guides,just an idiot at that point..[/QUOTE]

I was done when I saw that.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
its crap for few reasons,just to let you know,that carbide guide insert can be bent,set the head up w/ a slight tilt and it will cut 1 side(both seats he did) like he did.thats why you need a floating head machine like a serdi to do valves right.aslo your relying on him pushing a tapered guide insert in straight,not gonna happen whe it basiclly grabs at 1 point in the guide.too many variables in the way he tests and cuts seats.
as I said,garbage.
and in the second video,like how he just throws the blts and ratchet off the valve guides,just an idiot at that point..
Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
I was done when I saw that.
The Sunnen VGS (machine in that video) is the standard of equipment in almost every single one of the highest level engine shops in the country, only second to the Newen CNC. NONE of them use a Serdi, and that guy you posted about sure couldn't be any worse than this hack:

Old 10-13-2015, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepower1
The Sunnen VGS (machine in that video) is the standard of equipment in almost every single one of the highest level engine shops in the country, only second to the Newen CNC. NONE of them use a Serdi, and that guy you posted about sure couldn't be any worse than this hack:
The equipment being used has nothing to do with anything. You could give me the best machine shop tools in the world and I would mess up, because I don't know how to do it.

Give a craftsman ancient tools and he will build a venus de milo.

you tried this same garbage on OSO before and got banned for it. What are you trying to prove this time? your conman boss running out of work?
Old 10-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
The video says it's a Tom Rockwell race car production, but it looks like the presentation is by Mark Jones/ Vortec Pro. So does anyone know who is actually in the video and what sort of reputation or motivation he has? A quick glance at the search results for those names showed me a basic website for Rockwell and link to a yellow bullet thread where Mark/ Vortec is being called out as a scammer in a very long winded post that I didn't care to read. He has a video about cracked/ damaged valves in a head manufactured in 2006 in a video dated 2013. Says it's only been down the track 70 times. Who knows? I've got no reason to disbelieve him, but I've got no reason to believe him either.
As I said I have no idea how to use these machines. But I do know that if that is video by vortec pro, that you should move on and ignore what he says. This is a guy who has claimed for years that he can port oval heads in 2 hrs and make them outflow AFR. That in and of it self is a joke, and discredits anything else he may say or do.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zone 5
The equipment being used has nothing to do with anything.
Not according to stuphen 30. You need to argue with him about that, not me. I was quoting him, not you. I agree with you.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:16 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

There's a guy here at work that used to work at a former engine shop and said the only heads out of the box they got that were even close were Darts.....said pretty much every set needs work and your better off buying bare unless you are building a street queen for looks

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
as I said,garbage.
I guess what I dont understand is when I have dye kemmed seats and checked the margin/contact pattern IF the seat had .009 runout why would pattern come out pretty good, this was with .0010-.0012 guide clearance so I would NOT be convinced that slop in the guide would allow valve to touch all the way around either, IDK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.