Stellings TRS to Bravo Extension Boxes

Notices

Stellings TRS to Bravo Extension Boxes

Old 09-18-2002, 03:29 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Stellings TRS to Bravo Extension Boxes

Has anyone had any experience using the Stellings TRS to Bravo extension box? I was toying around the idea of doing the conversion this winter. I don't know exactly whats involved?

I thought this would be the easiest route since I wouldn't have to fill in the transom, and move the motor mounts, then figure out where the right X Dimension would be.

Anyone do this type of conversion yet??????
Old 09-18-2002, 07:46 PM
DOCTOR DAVE

why would you want to do this?

Old 09-18-2002, 07:57 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not done the conversion but I have called them about it. It costs 2000 for the kit. The kit DOES NOT include the drive shaft that you will need for were the transmision used to be. They say it has everything else. Seems like a good kit if you ask me.

Jon
Old 09-19-2002, 10:04 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Default Gain a little speed

I thougth it may be a good idea to easily raise the X-Dimension, and update to a bravo drive that won't suck up as much horsepower as the TRS. Ever look at the lower unit of the TRS? You may as well just throw an anchor overboard while you are driving. They can't be too efficient.

I have also heard of people doing TRS to Speedmaster Conversions. I don't see how the X Dimension would be right though.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:04 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As big as the TRS is it is not that inefficient. I know people that have swapped to Bravo's and actually gone slower. Even though the TRS has a transmision the Bravo has things in it as well that cause it to eat up power, so do not be fooled. The maine advantage that I see is that Parts are more easily atained for the Bravo's then the TRS drives. Of course you will have a clunk every time you put her in gear!!!

Jon
Old 09-19-2002, 02:54 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Default Too Low

The drive is so low in the water that I believe it is really slowing the boat down. To change the X-Dimention it would just be too much work, and the nose cones didn't do anything.

Does anyone know of regular extension boxes for the TRS? I spoke with somone once and they told me that the Scarab's with a TRS can run 5-10mph faster with an extension box. The only ones I know of would have to be fabricated?
Old 09-20-2002, 09:29 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Default Good thing someone tried it

Sutphen,

Thanks, and I am glad that you tried it and not me. I would have been really pissed if that happened to me. I would think that Stellings would have put a little more research into it.

From the sounds of it, it looks like you had a lot of trial and error to get where you are today. I think I am just going to save my money, leave the boat the way it is, enjoy it, and just buy a newer and bigger one next year. Looks like used 37 Outer Limits, 38 Top Gun, 38 Scarab, or 36 Apache is in my future.

Thanks for your input.