Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What type EGT probes >

What type EGT probes

Notices

What type EGT probes

Old 12-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does that yellow cat in the pic sit outside sometimes right off 70?
Old 12-01-2015, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

by the plug burned off, you would have seen the AFR's way off to I would think...
Old 12-01-2015, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Dan caught alot of slack from the video he had with thr gopro mounted in the bilge, showing smoke coming out of the breathers. At the time of the video, he also had a moisture issue with his oil, and had a significant amount of milkshake going on. I believe what was coming out of the valve covers in that video, was actually steam, and not oil smoke.

Irregardless, those engines consumed a bunch of oil, and were due for rebuilds.

Im no expert on failure analysis, his rotor screws had came loose from failed lock washers on one engine. The rotor screws were so loose, it allowed the rotor locating tab, to even become disengaged from the distributor.

My initial thoughts, were the timing became excessively retarded while he was running wfo for a long stretch during his last boating outing, piston got extremely hot, and began scuffing the bore, and tuliping an exhaust valve.

The other engine, which had the same tune, had no damage, still showed good on the compression test and fair on the leakdown. Engine with rotor coming loose, had damaged piston, and tuliped exhaust valve.

Thats just my theory, and it could be way off.
with the rotor loose like that the spark timing was all over the map.imo it was mostly retarded and the egt,s were through the roof.a lot of people don,t know what retarded timing can do,well this is a good example.the late firing caused so much heat the piston expands and starts to skuff the bore,after that the ring seal is gone ,now oil get,s up past the rings and starts to detonate.the tuliped valve is a dead giveaway.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by indysupra
Does that yellow cat in the pic sit outside sometimes right off 70?
Pic was taken at Nauti Marine as Myrick was taking care of us during the SOTPR back in '11 or '12 I believe. I'm pretty sure that was Augie's cat and Myrick was putting AC in the cockpit at the time.
Attached Thumbnails What type EGT probes-yellow-cat.jpg  
Old 12-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

My point to to the OP was I would have seen a difference in ETGS if I had 2 hooked up. I tuliped a super alloy valve, things got HOT in there.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
by the plug burned off, you would have seen the AFR's way off to I would think...
i am not sure that retarted timing will effect the a/f ratio reading,the cylinder was still firing.maybe one of the younger tech guys will know,seems they have ALL the answers,i am still learning.

Last edited by mike tkach; 12-01-2015 at 11:44 AM.