Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 compression test question >

454 compression test question

Notices

454 compression test question

Old 04-11-2016, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The motors are gen IV with a casting number of 14015445. The cooling system is open and the boat has always been on the great lakes. One issue I see is the last owner stored the boat in heated indoor storage during the Michigan winters for 8 years and never drained the water from the engines. He thought since the building is heated no need worry about freezing...they may not freeze but what about water sitting in the block, manifolds, etc?

Thanks again everyone for the input...Going to let the seller know about the low compress and leakdown today..if hes flexible will continue with the sea trial and maybe redo the compress and leakdown with warm motors. never the less, the heads will have to come off at some time in the near future.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

That sure is putting a lot of faith in the heating system of that building. One bad storm and you're done
Old 04-11-2016, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 1,488 Likes on 804 Posts

That seems to go on in more than one area up here. A nice place to store a boat but ya at the very least mechanics should drain everything.

As far as hurting anything at this point I wouldn't worry about it. Prolly wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe flush the block through the block drains. Doesn't take long and that way you know the blocks aren't full of scale. Even in Michigan rust is inevitable over time without protection.

Sounds like you got a great deal and you basically tracked the boats where abouts back to 77 so that solves some unknown mysteries anyway. Considering what your going to be doing with it the heads certainly shouldn't be overlooked but not anything I'd be extremely concerned with anyway.

You got some pretty good input from everyone so I'm sure you'll make good decisions moving forward.

Good luck and congrats.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
the 330 merc was what like 7.9:1 static compression? 125psi is probably within range
yes I agree Ive seen them around 125 for that motor
Old 04-11-2016, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ok, those blocks were last built in 1990. so the probability of them being new in 97 not so good...and raw water cooling all it's life. the blocks will stand up to raw water cooling as long as not in the salt. but do not do a valve job. those heads need replacing. buy heads, preferably L29s when you find them cheap. have the valves done on them and replace them whenever. the big block head has a thin spot at #7 and #2 exhaust valve guides. they rot through there.