Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads? >

AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads?

Notices

AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads?

Old 01-29-2017, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
I was just giving SB a hard time. All in good fun. I ran 1.8's for years (5 maybe 6?) I ran them to 6500 RPM's with my old Ultradyne cams. Cruise RPM's were mid 4000's. I'm switching to the Yella Terra's this summer and probably will go with the 1.75/1.7 combo. Also the Scorpion 1.8's I believe are closer to 1.83. I'll try to remember to measure the full valve lift before I pull them off.
I knew that. Hah...

If I stay NA I'm without a doubt gonna be going one route or the other but I know it's not going to involve a stud and rocker arm. Btw your buddy trying to get me into tunnel rams. I sent him a SV and he didn't like it. Said I need to find taller longer runner single plane or else...

Monies keep adding up. Shoulda listened to mt while back and just go sc. probably would be money ahead. Problem is my ssm3 drives would not be digging the extra hp. 750 ok. 1,000 hp I have my doubts. I just would like first summer back on the water to be cool in the gang. Right...

Last edited by getrdunn; 01-29-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Yeah, MT is kind of smart about that. That's why I'm not building big cu" engines for my AT. I'm eventually going to strap on some 8-71's. Also, I believe 750HP NA vs 750 blown there is a difference. Lower RPM more TQ is tough on drives.

Last edited by Rookie; 01-29-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

One of my favorite parts about a S/C engine, is the power is adjustable with a pulley change.

The 1036HP 522 I mentioned earlier. It was a new build, and you roughly know where to start with pulleys, but , its not an exact science.

First round of dyno pulls, she made 870ish hp. was making 6psi of boost. Pulleys changed to speed blower up. Now made 8lbs, and 930hp. Then once again, changed pulleys. Finally hit 1036hp, with 10lbs boost and some fine tuning.

Where in the heck, can ya find 150hp on a N/A engine, with 10 minutes worth of work.

Now, lets say you have drive limitations. A valid concern for many. Lets just say for a minute, we are building some 565ci mills. You can make 750hp, with the most easy going station wagon like valvetrain, and a set of as cast cylinder heads. No porting, no high lift cams, no rocker arm trickery, just basic stuff, and low boost. A 8-71, 10-71, gone thru that has fresh bearings and seals. You can build some engines, that simply last a LONG time, if you're not greedy. Engines that idle like cream puffs, shift in and out of gear like butter, and so on.

As much as I love watching the big NA builds in a quest for HP thru R&D, it kinda ends there for me. I see guys spend bags of money, on 55mm cam upgrades, tons of porting costs, high dollar jesel and T&D shaft systems, dry sump oiling, intake porting, nasa like induction development, and all kinds of stuff, and end up with less power, than the guy who slapped on a 2.3 whipple on a bone stock 500efi.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 01-29-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
One of my favorite parts about a S/C engine, is the power is adjustable with a pulley change.

The 1036HP 522 I mentioned earlier. It was a new build, and you roughly know where to start with pulleys, but , its not an exact science.

First round of dyno pulls, she made 870ish hp. was making 6psi of boost. Pulleys changed to speed blower up. Now made 8lbs, and 930hp. Then once again, changed pulleys. Finally hit 1036hp, with 10lbs boost and some fine tuning.

Where in the heck, can ya find 150hp on a N/A engine, with 10 minutes worth of work.

""""""""""""""Simple... Call Bob M. Hah"""""""""""""

Now, lets say you have drive limitations. A valid concern for many. Lets just say for a minute, we are building some 565ci mills. You can make 750hp, with the most easy going station wagon like valvetrain, and a set of as cast cylinder heads. No porting, no high lift cams, no rocker arm trickery, just basic stuff, and low boost. A 8-71, 10-71, gone thru that has fresh bearings and seals. You can build some engines, that simply last a LONG time, if you're not greedy. Engines that idle like cream puffs, shift in and out of gear like butter, and so on.

""""""""""""""Think of king of the drive in?"""""""""""""

As much as I love watching the big NA builds in a quest for HP thru R&D, it kinda ends there for me. I see guys spend bags of money, on 55mm cam upgrades, tons of porting costs, high dollar jesel and T&D shaft systems, dry sump oiling, intake porting, nasa like induction development, and all kinds of stuff, and end up with less power, than the guy who slapped on a 2.3 whipple on a bone stock 500efi.
""""""""""""Yes your right. But at least when you do go NA all your other components are all good guy parts.
Were hearing you though. Trust me....""""""""""""
Old 01-29-2017, 07:38 PM
Registered

Other good thing is the more power NA the more power SC... Right?. Just wish I had all the loot right now.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Other good thing is the more power NA the more power SC... Right?. Just wish I had all the loot right now.
Like i said, if ya dont get greedy. But who has that kind of mentality in this hobby. If u can make 750hp with as cast heads and mild cam, but 950 with head porting , more aggressive cam, and more boost , then we are gonna do it lol
Old 01-29-2017, 08:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

How many times in the last 1.5 years have you heard me say I regret not going that route, Scott tells me the same thing all the time.... I guess I will have a nice foundation for boost later if I choose to, good parts, strong blocks and such...
Old 01-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There ya go. Run it next year, enjoy the boat, then slap some 10-71's or 3.3 whips on next winter and break 70... and a few TRS's...
Old 01-29-2017, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Like i said, if ya dont get greedy. But who has that kind of mentality in this hobby. If u can make 750hp with as cast heads and mild cam, but 950 with head porting , more aggressive cam, and more boost , then we are gonna do it lol
Here is what happens in real terms. It happened to me, so I had a SC boat with a speedy ran great no breakdowns in all the years I had it, sold it got a bigger boat NA, it was ok, sold it got the 38 foot boat I currently have, built 2 stout NAs ran it for a few years and said F--k it no the same had to pressurize it, started a 3 lbs, now at 4.5 with lot's of boost to go as time requires! Once you go SC its hard to go back. I think it's must be like what substance addiction must feel like?
Old 01-29-2017, 09:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I enjoyed it all last summer, just was not happy lol

If they get boost it will not be with TRS's ..

Originally Posted by Eliminated572
There ya go. Run it next year, enjoy the boat, then slap some 10-71's or 3.3 whips on next winter and break 70... and a few TRS's...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.