Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Driving thru chine walk >

Driving thru chine walk

Notices

Driving thru chine walk

Old 09-14-2016, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its going to take quite a bit of power to run a 29 no step, high 80's plus some pretty big balls, these are great 70mph boats, decent 75 with caution, 80, better have your stuff together and all the planets aligned, everything effects how it will drive on any given day, good luck and be safe...
Old 09-14-2016, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Not so sure I could reach the trim tabs button when it's in a full on chine walk. It can get pretty violent.
What I did was buy a twin button that is right on the throttle, pretty easy to wire up. Then you have drive and trim right at your hand, pretty nice and cheap. I got mine from livorsi I think.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559413[/ATTACH]

I've been told dropping the tabs or trimming down at high speed can cause bow steer and possibly a spin-out, so I've only been using the throttles to stop the walking.
Well true but maybe I wasn't clear. First not the drives. What I meant is just "bump" the tabs, I mean its not much, you don't want to do anything drastic. That's why I said don't just "chop" the throttles, you are in effect dropping the bow into the water hard when you do that. Back off easy. Maybe that is what you are doing and I took it wrong. Again mine is a step hull so a bit different and a little longer but if I did that I think I would go swimming.
Attached Thumbnails Driving thru chine walk-img_1658.jpg  
Old 09-14-2016, 08:55 AM
Registered

A twin engine fountain should not chine walk . Check trim indicaters to make sure the trim is right at wot possition. If it porposes use trim tabs to kill it . You may gave to trim pretty high to get it to stop moving around . Sometimes fuel slosh causes problems . Check drive alignment too. Mine does not like the dtives trimmed down
Old 09-14-2016, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Boatally; Love that shot of your old Checkmate. Bet that was a really fun boat in the right conditions. Between all the cruisers and wake boats on the weekends, Lake Travis can get pretty rough. For pure driving enjoyment, I prefer going out on week days.
Looks like I won't be making the poker run. Got family commitments that can't be broken. Still planning a fall run however.
Your new Velocity looks REALLY sharp! Have you decided if you're installing the monster eng?
Supposed to rain Saturday and the Rusty Rudder has a "country" band, so I may just skip it as well...

Give me a shout when you do head out.. want to put some hours on this boat yet this fall...

I'll install my 555 eventually.. As soon as I get tired of reliability, fuel economy, and feel like listening to my wife complain that the drive is broke.. LOL
My new boat DOES handle great though.. was able to run WOT at the roughest part of the lake on a holiday weekend and it didn't scare me at all so DEFINATELY needs more HP...

Doug

Last edited by Boatally Insane; 09-14-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

I REALLY need to add the trim switches to the throttles. I still have the steering wheel mounted drive trim switch. Ever since I switched to full hyd steering, I keep having to unwind the coiled cord from around the steering wheel. It's getting real irritating.

In regards to chopping the throttles when it starts getting out of shape, I'm guilty. I don't take them all the way to idle, but I do bring them back to abt 1/2 throttle real quick. I didn't notice the bow dropping down hard, but you're right, it probably did. Maybe the twin BBC 29 being such a tail heavy boat helps a little in that regard? I've experimented with the tabs early on and learned the faster you go, the less tab you need.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
Check trim indicaters to make sure the trim is right at wot possition..
I'm a little confused abt this.
Are you saying I should be at a certain trim indication value at WOT (like 4, 4 1/2 or 5)?
Old 09-15-2016, 12:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
Give me a shout when you do head out.. want to put some hours on this boat yet this fall...
Will do. I'll shoot you a PM next week when I'll have a better idea of my schedule.

BTW; I live abt 10 mins from Jones Bros park.. Sure is nice to have a full lake again
Old 09-15-2016, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Are you saying I should be at a certain trim indication value at WOT (like 4, 4 1/2 or 5)?
When boat is on trailer just check to confirm your indicators are within reason. Meaning when your indicators are at X both drives are equal to one another. As far as amount of trim the boat likes at various speeds you will be the judge of that. At cruising speeds if you have to much trim the boat will likely porpus so just bump them down a tad til it goes away. Also make note where your trim tab indicators are at in relavance to when the tabs are even/parallel with the boat bottom. Then you can easily adjust from there depending on weight distribution etc. Example if boat rides lower on the port side then put the left tab down slightly to compensate.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:29 AM
Registered

your drive indicator might say 4 on both but it's possible for the indicator to be wrong. One could be at 3 but is says 4.. Just make sure the drives are at the exact same trim at wot.. ( on the trailer) .. One drive higher than the other will make a chine walk
Old 09-15-2016, 02:02 PM
Registered

I got ya. I set up the trim indicators after replacing the cables. Got some help from the guys on the Fountain forum. They are dead on along with the tabs. The boat is sorted out, it's all on me now.

Thx for all the replies guys. This thread has been a good learning experience for me and hopefully will help out the next guy who is in a similar situation. The vast majority of my boating involves my wife and young daughter so speeds stay below 60 at all times. I've got lots of experience at trying to make the ride smooth and keep the screaming from the back to a min, but very little seat time at 70+. I've been a boat owner since 1992, but I'm going considerably faster now than I ever have before. After abt 70 mph things change dramatically in a 27 ft V-bottom. It's literally a new level of boating, that requires a new level of skill. I think a few solo "test runs" are in order soon,, before something blows up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.