Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Driving thru chine walk >

Driving thru chine walk

Notices

Driving thru chine walk

Old 09-17-2016, 01:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe if he spun them in , it would carry the nose a bit and kill the chine walk . Or it might get worse ??
Old 09-17-2016, 04:07 AM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

I know a ex Fountain race driver who once said all padded bottom deep V's will chine walk (if the driver doesn't stop it) and hull length is the main factor determining what speed it happens. The longer the boat, the higher the speed it starts to walk. He went on to say that chine walk is the drivers inability to balance the boat once it's on the pad.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
Naw just a 27 that chine walked a bit and my 38 that only chine walks when somethings wrong . I'm only trying to give all i know . Did all the 29's chine walk ?
most all, if ran mid 70's and up, ran a friends twin BB several times at the potomac river radar, low 80's boat that would scare the crap out of you at any given time. Fountain actually dropped the twin BB option on the last few years of production, singles were no better with big power
Old 09-19-2016, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I hit chine walk in my Velocity about 85. I talked to Steve Stepp and he said driving through chine walk is like driving your car on ice, you turn into it with small quick corrections.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 476 Posts

Just to make you feel better, anyone can have problems with high speed boat handling no matter how experienced you are or how much you spend....

‘That boat was set to do 70 knots, but we could never get it to steer over 66 knots – as soon as it got to 65, 66 knots, it would either spin out to the right or the left. It was a massive spin-out, like being in a WaveRunner. We never ran that boat over 90 per cent power.’

(John Staluppi talking about his 42m superyacht 'The World Is Not Enough')

He then continued to say....

"Imagine what it’s like to wipe out in a 42m superyacht at just short of 70 knots. Staluppi admits it was ‘Very scary’. But even short of maximum power, The World Is Not Enough is a very impressive motor yacht"

source: http://johnstaluppi.com/john-staluppi-yachts.html

If he had trouble getting it right, I guess it can happen to anyone.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 09-19-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I hit chine walk in my Velocity about 85. I talked to Steve Stepp and he said driving through chine walk is like driving your car on ice, you turn into it with small quick corrections.
Yes thats counter steering . Anyone that ever drove a fast v outboard has to be good at it . Fast meaning ; whipping the steering wheel back and fourth . The boat cat walks side to side but the boat remains level and the nose hangs high. A fountain like my 27 was like this a bit .
Old 09-19-2016, 10:18 AM
Registered

Here is a hydrostream set up perfectly so he needs very little countersteer to get to speed. Watch closely just after 1:30 and you will see him chop the wheel like i was trying to explain. Sometimes if the boat is not right you will have to rapidly do the steering wheel chop back and fourth. I had a 17 ' switzer with a 235 on it that was almost impossible to run because it was nasty chinewalking . I had a 18' with a 200 that was not as bad but if you let off the throttle entirely, it would flop on to the left side . Thats how you get through a chinwalk. Dont let off quick if you cant make it because that might make you crash
https://youtu.be/8wmky9SuaJg

https://youtu.be/8wmky9SuaJg

Last edited by mcprodesign; 09-19-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:42 AM
Registered

https://youtu.be/rL4bsYFQtN0
Old 09-19-2016, 11:07 AM
Registered

Here you see a ol 29. Very very little chinewalking . Requires a very small amount if countersteer. But watch close. On a small scale. This is how you do it . Good luck! I still say work on set up though . Chad

https://youtu.be/IjwQ28sWGpI