Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 09-25-2016, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Have u tried that sv565 that you recommended to me for 565 builds?
I've used its bigger brother on tall deck motors with great results. I'm doing a pair of 555 budget motors as soon as the weather changes. I'll use the sv565 intakes and some top secret cams I designed on my own should make 725ish hp.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I've used its bigger brother on tall deck motors with great results. I'm doing a pair of 555 budget motors as soon as the weather changes. I'll use the sv565 intakes and some top secret cams I designed on my own should make 725ish hp.
Well keep us posted how builds go. "Secret ninja cams". Cool....
Old 09-25-2016, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Any trial on comps 4 pattern hyd rollers?
Old 09-26-2016, 04:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Any trial on comps 4 pattern hyd rollers?
I've been told by our dyno operator that builds motors which every last hp counts to "save your money".
Old 09-26-2016, 05:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Port engine should come out in the next couple days....at that point I will at least pull a valve cover and run a machinist edge across cylinders to see if exhaust seats are getting pounded into the head... from the things I am told the issues arise between 50-70 hours.. I am at 65 or 67, cannot remember
Old 09-26-2016, 06:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
Port engine should come out in the next couple days....at that point I will at least pull a valve cover and run a machinist edge across cylinders to see if exhaust seats are getting pounded into the head... from the things I am told the issues arise between 50-70 hours.. I am at 65 or 67, cannot remember
After a season on a new set of aluminum heads we have found it very beneficial to pull the heads and do a valve job. Even with very mild cams it seems as though things move around. After the first go round things seem to settle down and be good to go for awhile... If I was in your shoes I would just yank them and go through them. If you have mls gaskets don't hesitate to re-use.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I think what we have learned here, is that

A ''custom high lift cammed" 540ci , with AFR 325 heads, is no better, than a 565ci, with good flowing chinese 320cc heads, and a low lift hyd roller cam. The boat lost acceleration by dropping 25 cubes, and a longer duration cam. It gained nothing for top speed either.

The old 4.375x4.530 combo , with a refresh, and a cam upgrade, probably would have been the best bet.

I'm really not surprised by any of this. The procomp 320 heads he had, were if I recall, knock off's of the old pro topline/RHS/Engine quest line of heads. In stock form, they dynoed around 600hp on tims 565. Then later, he had Gellner do a valve job and cleanup on them. That there probably helped them out a little, and had he redynoed, he probably would have been very close to his "630HP" he has from bobs combo, with a bit more torque down low from the added cubes and smaller cam. Those procomp heads castings were not very good quality, but like everything pro comp did, was take a good design, and copy it. They made some decent power, and probably flowed really close to the afr 325's after the tune up they had.

I don't think theres going to be any magic here, to get him the results he wants, whether it be from a spacer, intake swap, or even cam swap. I'd focus on the health of the engine, making sure all is well there, and keep on boating until you can strap a blower on the thing, and get the results you want.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Spot on... Gonna do some checking when engine is out and see what things look like ...
Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I think what we have learned here, is that

A ''custom high lift cammed" 540ci , with AFR 325 heads, is no better, than a 565ci, with good flowing chinese 320cc heads, and a low lift hyd roller cam. The boat lost acceleration by dropping 25 cubes, and a longer duration cam. It gained nothing for top speed either.

The old 4.375x4.530 combo , with a refresh, and a cam upgrade, probably would have been the best bet.

I'm really not surprised by any of this. The procomp 320 heads he had, were if I recall, knock off's of the old pro topline/RHS/Engine quest line of heads. In stock form, they dynoed around 600hp on tims 565. Then later, he had Gellner do a valve job and cleanup on them. That there probably helped them out a little, and had he redynoed, he probably would have been very close to his "630HP" he has from bobs combo, with a bit more torque down low from the added cubes and smaller cam. Those procomp heads castings were not very good quality, but like everything pro comp did, was take a good design, and copy it. They made some decent power, and probably flowed really close to the afr 325's after the tune up they had.

I don't think theres going to be any magic here, to get him the results he wants, whether it be from a spacer, intake swap, or even cam swap. I'd focus on the health of the engine, making sure all is well there, and keep on boating until you can strap a blower on the thing, and get the results you want.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 4,272 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Black Baja
After a season on a new set of aluminum heads we have found it very beneficial to pull the heads and do a valve job. Even with very mild cams it seems as though things move around. After the first go round things seem to settle down and be good to go for awhile... If I was in your shoes I would just yank them and go through them. If you have mls gaskets don't hesitate to re-use.
Yeah cause Bobs valvetrain beats the **** out of the seats!! See you`re starting to figure it out!
Old 09-26-2016, 09:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have never heard to fix aluminum heads after one season, ever.... I just don't see how that can be right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.