Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
I do believe I got bit by my purchase... >

I do believe I got bit by my purchase...

Notices

I do believe I got bit by my purchase...

Old 10-10-2016, 08:31 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

that lake in Idaho is really nice. I actually sold some boats in my past to that area from Texas. How bad and cold is your winters ?

Maybe and my good guess would be ---- your oil bypass valve was not set up properly for an oil cooler marine big block.

Last edited by BUP; 10-10-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Welcome to the club! If we had perfect boats then we wouldn't have found ourselves here, so you're amongst fine company. Lol

I was going to mention that many $15k motors have been toasted because of a $15 bypass valve, but BUP beat me to it. Best of luck and hopefully it's simple!
Old 10-10-2016, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
that lake in Idaho is really nice. I actually sold some boats in my past to that area from Texas. How bad and cold is your winters ?

Maybe and my good guess would be ---- your oil bypass valve was not set up properly for an oil cooler marine big block.
6 month boat storage winters...and I'll search the rest 😩
Old 10-10-2016, 08:53 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Oh nothing new to me -- once to 3 times a year I see this, brand new big block crate engines lasting only 15 to 60 hours only.

That is correct 15 dollar - wrong by pass valve still installed that was never changed.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92cobalt243
"Where do you boat ? I'm right in the middle of the state."

Coeur d'Alene Lake, mostly...Idaho
Thats where I bought my boat . Beautiful lake!
Im in central Washington on the Columbia.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Oh nothing new to me -- once to 3 times a year I see this, brand new big block crate engines lasting only 15 to 60 hours only.

That is correct 15 dollar - wrong by pass valve still installed that was never changed.
Do you have a link to a good write up or video on how you set up a non-marine crate motor for a marine application?
Old 10-10-2016, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
1233 hours! yes!
it is me!!!!
Sorry to hear your misfortune, at least it was end of season though. Yours was definately the exception to the rule, one way you can look at it is the motors lasted so long without a rebuild that even if you have to buy a new engine you saved so much not going into the engines your still ahead, Smitty
Old 10-22-2016, 03:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 92cobalt243
1st thread here...hoping this site is helpful for my situation...Livin' in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

1992 Cobalt 243 originally with a 454/Bravo One...The boat had 244 hours on it total when I purchased it 2 months ago, but was advertised as only 20 hours on the Crate 502HO...Sweet. As I have discovered through paperwork inside the boat what appears to have happened was that there was a Crate 502 (Chevy not Merc) may have been installed in '09 2 owners ago, ran for 15 hours, sold to last owner when the motor started puking oil & had to take it in to Eastside Offshore Marine Service near Seattle...

The Eastside Offshore receipt (August 2011) showed that the motor would not turn over 4200 rpm & was way out of balance...Tore into it to find the wrong crank for a 502 + 2 recently replaced rods...They built the motor with a new crank, new cam & lifters, & showed a dyno break-in of 527HP/570TQ (not sure if these results were with the current Edelbrock RPM intake & Carb). So this was 5 years ago & 20 hours before I purchased it through a consignment that gave me a 30 day warranty for major defects.

So I've had the boat for 2+ months & put 11 hours on it when it started a major knock in the middle of the lake with some pretty good white cap weather...I limped in to the closest marina where I could secure it...then retrieve it with the truck & trailer later. I had tried to get a maintenance base line a few run-hours earlier with new spark plugs, oil change, oil filter, & fuel filter even though winterization was a week or two away. It ran great. On the last cruise I got it up to maybe 55 mph/4800 rpm for maybe 5 minutes...the rest of the time it was a pretty calm run. Oil pressure was great & running cool.

It's been at a pretty big shop but they are in that busy winterize/storage season so there has been a delay. The most experienced mechanic ran it in the tank & said it had a hard miss & thought the noise was in the valve-train...Next step is compression test to pin point the problem...How is that for luck? I'll update when I find out...
Let me update...The local boat shop did not do a compression test after all...I picked up this morning, as the dealer is willing to work with me @ his mechanic's cost & parts cost. I think we/they may be pulling the motor in about a month & sending it to an engine builder they use...Since I've got 4 weeks to wait I drained the block this morning & I wanted to try and figure the history on the previous build...

What I don't know:
1) Can't for the life of me find the block casting number...but I did find the block casting date stamp of IJ6 (& I don't know what that tells me).
2) The 2011 rebuild by EastSide Offshore Marine states an upgraded Cam & lifters...I tried calling them & the number is disconnected (out of business?)...

What I do know:
1) SUPPOSEDLY the motor was dyno'd by Eastside Offshore @ 527 hp & 570 torque...but not sure if it is with the current top end.
2) Has EMI Thunder Exhaust
3) Has Edelbrock 7562 Performer RPM Air-Gap intake...
4) Has Edelbrock 1410 Performer 750cfm marine carb...
5) Has Bravo One 1.50r w\ a Mirage Plus 19p prop...(this appears to be the original for the 454).

Do you see any problems with that intake & carb vs. the dyno results (are those dyno numbers possible with that carb?), My goal is to get this up and running again while leaning towards more reliable not necessarily faster.

I may pull the valve covers tomorrow (dont have all the tools I need with me now) to get a look at the springs, rockers, & pushrods. I expect some damage. I did get my inspection scope inside one of the covers & see the rocker arms are stamped. I'd also like to get the head casting numbers.

Any input/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by 92cobalt243; 10-22-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:46 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Yup, looks like last FB entry was 2012

https://www.facebook.com/EASTSIDEOFFSHORE-355734525987/
Old 10-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Yup, looks like last FB entry was 2012

https://www.facebook.com/EASTSIDEOFFSHORE-355734525987/
Looks like he had a clue...hopefully he knew about the 30# filter by-pass on this crate motor...encouraging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.