Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Valve seat materials >

Valve seat materials

Notices

Valve seat materials

Old 10-22-2016, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 4,294 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Looks like Redline changed their product.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-6020...ead+substitute

Hey, folks - Be careful!

I just received a big order assuming this was the same product I have been buying for over ten years.

Imagine my surprise when the 12 ounce bottles now said "One bottle treats 25 gallons" as opposed to the Redline I had been buying in the past that said "One ounce treats 10 gallons" - Even though the Redline product number (60202) hadn't changed!

I called Redline and talked to their chief technical guy (Dave Somebody) who somewhat sheepishly admitted that the formulation had changed and that one bottle now treated just 25 gallons instead of treating 120 gallons.

How they can do this without changing the product number (60202) is beyond me.

Talk about unethical behavior and greed!!!!!

For gosh sakes, at least change the product stock number if you have any ethics at all!!!!!

How pathetic when greed comes into play - this is already a very successful company so they certainly didn't raise the price in order to survive!

Just greed - I'm changing suppliers on just principle!
Old 10-23-2016, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

some of the younger folks may not know what tetraethyllead is,do a google search and you will learn about it.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

We used to run Copper Beryllium in Oval Track Engines , stopped because of wear and health affects . Moved to a Copper Alloy with DLC Coated Ti Valves .
Some of the Dirt Oval guys are running some kind of seat coated with TiCN to keep the wear down.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
some of the younger folks may not know what tetraethyllead is,do a google search and you will learn about it.
Some of us younger folks are lead advocates. If it wasn't a vital lubricant / octane booster I think they would have removed it from AV gas completely. Let's be real about lead. Everyone worries about the health problems that could be associated with lead (which is a myth) however we have airplanes flying over head burning tons of leaded fuel. Gravity tells me that all the exhaust emissions from an airplane is going to fall right on top of me. But yet I don't have lead poisoning... :-)
Old 10-23-2016, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I bought a brand new set of Brodix heads 2 seasons ago. At the end of the second season the engine started running poorly and was down on power. Did a leakdown and all cylinders were leaking between 30-60% out of the exhaust valves. Pulled the heads and the exhaust seats were beat to death. Had around 70 hrs on them. I don't know what the seat material was, but it didn't work very well in my little blower motor. Brodix has the castings back in their possession right now and are going to put in some better seats they said. If I can find out what they are putting in, I will post it here. In all fairness though, I did get a half tank of 87 octane at a marina in TN by mistake shortly before it started running bad. The knock sensor may have removed so much timing that the EGT's went through the roof. The Manley extreme duty valves held up perfectly though.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Some of us younger folks are lead advocates. If it wasn't a vital lubricant / octane booster I think they would have removed it from AV gas completely. Let's be real about lead. Everyone worries about the health problems that could be associated with lead (which is a myth) however we have airplanes flying over head burning tons of leaded fuel. Gravity tells me that all the exhaust emissions from an airplane is going to fall right on top of me. But yet I don't have lead poisoning... :-)
i only wish you were correct in saying lead related health issues are a myth.i,like you know the benefit of leaded fuel.you can,t really believe lead is not a health hazzard.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

i only wish you were correct in saying lead related health issues are a myth.i,like you know the benefit of leaded fuel.you can,t really believe lead is not a health hazzard.
If THEY actually addressed the toxic chemicals being sprayed over our heads like they have the lead in our fuels it would make much more sense. Look up!!!
Old 10-23-2016, 10:55 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Maybe thicker seat margins should be used ?

Last edited by SB; 10-23-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Do thicker seat margins make the wear less ?
I would think the thicker seat cuts, would cool the valve better, as now the heat is being transfered from the valve to the seat more efficiently. While that may lower the temperature of the valve itself, I don't know if it will lower the temperature of the seat. Maybe even increase the temperature of the seat?

Modern engines put much higher levels of thermal and mechanical stress on valve seat inserts. To handle the more severe conditions within these new generations of engines, the OE-Manufacture is equipping them with high tech sin-tered valve seat inserts.
The normal cast iron valve seat will not adequa-tely withstand the demands of this new engine environment.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

yeah,,what he said,,just look at some of our members.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.