Lifter madness >

Lifter madness

Notices

Lifter madness

Old 03-24-2017, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
13532-16 is the crane that was recommended to me also by a very good builder.
And that is what I have gone with. I did a lot of searching and it looks like this particular lifter has been in use for a long time and I have not found any oso stories of failures or problems with them. There may be new, later greater fancier lifters out there, but this one seems pretty dependable.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:51 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
What kind of intake gaskets are those? They look like they'd seal well.

Look like GM's for the 'roval's' - they are kind of expensive but real nice.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I can only speak from my own experience. Ive seen morel lifters in 800,900,1000, and 1200hp forced induction engines, handle 550 lbs of open pressure, 6500-7000rpm, without a single hiccup many times on the dyno, and quite a few applications running 6000rpm for sustained periods of time. Icdeppls and mine probably have at least 150 hours on them by now. 150 hours might not be 300 hours, but we also arent running stock blue merc motors making 500hp , and only turning 5200 once in a blue moon.

Offshorexcursion is running their .903 diameter hydraulics on 55mm cores, also with well over 500lbs open, in his dry sump 572's and no issues.

Not sure id wanna try taking a stock gm lifter to 7000 on a 1200hp whipple engine on a dyno pull, let alone on the water. Considering some of the top engine builders are still using them, lunati , howards, erson, bullet, cam motion, herbert cams, many professional race teams, drag race, circle track, marine, etc also still using them, i hardly think they are "junk" .
Glad you guys have had good luck with them...I didn't. They failed in my 500 efi application. In talking to many reputable shops, they don't use morel nor do they recommend them anymore. Teague is one of them. Sounds like Eddie is starting to use johnsons as well. Local builder here in CT told me he has been burned by morels several times. Has had to rebuild several motors on the dyno stand because of noisy lifters. Even performing a quick google search reveals several threads with issues. Not only boat but many car forums.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Also probably one of the most widely used lifters in the high performance aftermarket world. You go on the web, and whether it be yellowbullet, speedtalk, LS forums, chevelle forum, mustang forum, boat forums, and so on, youlll see thr majority of guys who have been running aftermarket lifters for the past decade or so, have been running morels. Whether they were labeled lunati, howards, pbm, isky, crower, or smal private label. Tons of them out there, and certainly there have been some issues.

I dont recall thousands of threads on these high performance forums, reporting guys who have been running "johnson" lifters for the past decade or so.

Kind of like the msd box failure rate, when compared to say a crane or daytona sensors box. You go on the net and find the negative talk about the msd boxes, and you would be led to believe they would last 14 minutes after install. Reality is, theres probably 50 msd boxes in service for every 1 of crane or daytona boxes.

I know there certainly have been issues with the morel lifters, both from noise, and lifters collapsing. They are a finicky lifter. When you have a heavy azz hyd roller lifter that can go 7000 plus rpm, you need some pretty tight tolerances. Like really tight. They dont do well when lifter bore clearance is crap, or the engine was assembled in a dirty enviroment. The smallest piece of dirt can screw them up. And sometimes, chit just fails.

Sucks you had issues with them. Id be pizzed too. They arent cheap. For a 500efi, i think id be running a stock gm lifter. I dont think there is anything to be gained by a morel or johnson lifter in a combo like that.

As far as who is using/recommending them, and who isnt, politics plays a huge role in our hobby. Half the stuff we used is rebranded. Ive seen guys on forums argue about how they had an issue with a morel lifter, and switched to a set of howards 91162. Then came back and said how great they are, and theyd never run a morel lifter again. The 91162 lifter is made by morel, for howards!
Old 03-25-2017, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Ive seen guys on forums argue about how they had an issue with a morel lifter, and switched to a set of howards 91162. Then came back and said how great they are, and theyd never run a morel lifter again. The 91162 lifter is made by morel, for howards!
who's ever said that?
Old 03-25-2017, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
who's ever said that?
It was on a car forum, I think the chevelle site if I recall
Old 03-25-2017, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

So what's the morel to this story?
Old 03-25-2017, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
So what's the morel to this story?
buy proven hp in crate motors.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

I cant believe a "what lifter" thread made it this far without Full Farce Tim chiming in!
Old 03-26-2017, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Glad you figured out which lifter you like best Phragle, Definitely not easy to research, learn, and choose sometimes! Look forward to seeing you at Boyne again!

My Morel Hi RPM .903 Hyd are working great!

Remember some companies switch products DUE TO AVAILABILITY. They are in business to make money, not lose customers due to backorder. Luckily we have choices with lots of good products out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.