Highest OIl Temps that are safe >

Highest OIl Temps that are safe

Notices

Highest OIl Temps that are safe

Old 05-27-2017, 11:40 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

I had a Hardin SS pump that did not pump the volume of water the stock pump did . Have heard others with the same complaint . Just an FYI .
Old 05-28-2017, 12:34 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
After build was running 20W50 but was only reading 25 psi and would dip slightly lower when coming off plane. Working with another it was decided this season to try 50W to get the pressure up. Installed a mechanical gauge Tee with the electrical gauge. Found a 15 higher reading with mechanical gauge, so figured a 100 psi sender was installed instead of an 80 psi one. Installed a 80 psi gauge and now the gauge reads within 2 psi of the mechanical.

With the gauge offset issue discovered and pressures running so high I'm changing back to 20W50 before I take it back out. Going to reinstall O2 sensors and measure AFR to determine if this is also an issue.

Reading temps at the filter head before the cooler

The old cooler was 2x15 and the new is 2x21 and looks like this one
You gainned very little cooling by going to the longer 2" cooler. A 3" has about 3 times as many tubes inside it to cool the oil. But as I'm not trying to spend your money look at a couple things. First, where the adapter fitting go to the cooler, are the holes in the cooler the same size as the -10 line? Thats about 5/8" ID. If the cooler doesn't have holes the same as the line, you add a restriction which can increase temps. I have always measured my oil temps before the cooler. Its a never ending debate, but as long as you have at least 1 number you are ahead of the game. Before I did cooling changes, I ran 260+ at WOT all the time. I changed to a 3" with -12 lines and lowered my water temp, and dropped the oil to 230 max on a 25 mile WOT run. If I had to guess, my oil was 50-60 degrees cooler after the cooler, so hitting the bearings at 180 or so. I was also running about 100 HP more than you, which of course needs more cooling.

So after you make sure about the cooler inlet sizes, you need to check the cooling system. With a 140* Stat, you should be around that number. Make sure your impellor is putting out what it should, and backflush your engine and cooler to make sure there is no crap in the water passages. You said you had EFI, so as I had carb, some of this may be incorrect or may have to have the tune adjusted for. I ran water temps right around 125-130. I forced it there by throwing away the Tstat and using Moroso restrictors. No restriction never got me above 100, I ended up with the middle size one. The other thing you can do is drill 2-3 holes in your Tstat to let more water through. Again, I had a Carb. You may be stuck with running higher temps for the EFI. Someone here with efi can tell you that answer.

As was aready said, having the wrong A/F numbers can increase temps quickly. If the computer has been "tuned" have someone that knows what they are doing look at it and make sure your A/F numbers are correct.

If you are running a good Full Syn oil it can handle crazy high temps. Over 300. Not telling you thats okay, just what the oil can take before it loses viscosity. Your 80 psi is crazy high. The old 10 psi per 1000 is fine. I ran around 60 psi turning 5500+ for 6 years and never missed a beat. There is no way that you should need 50w to make pressure unless your bearing clearances are too wide. 10-40 or 25-40 should be fine.

Last edited by Zone 5; 05-28-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by chefke
Just my two cents, I would check your oil level relative to crankshaft, if over filled you will whip the oil with the crankshaft causing high oil temps, also I would also check the oil bypass valve make sure you have the right one because that will bypass oil filter and oil cooler if it's the wrong tension. I believe the marine version is 18 lbs.
Good luck
Did check the level and it was a tad below full, so do believe I'm good
My bypass valve has been blocked off.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]567774[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by the deep
I had a Hardin SS pump that did not pump the volume of water the stock pump did . Have heard others with the same complaint . Just an FYI .
Sure hope it isn't the pump, but plan to install a pressure gauge soon

Will keep investigating to find the issue
Attached Thumbnails Highest OIl Temps that are safe-oil-2.jpg  
Old 05-28-2017, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

water psi is a touchy subject, in regards to cooling. Its hard to reallly factor what the optimum pressure reading really is. Reason being, each setup can be different.

Lets say you compare two engine setups. Both the same engines, just rigged differently.

One engine, has 1.25 line from pickup to sea pump, to cooler, to engine. It has a aftermarket thermostat housing, with -10 AN lines feeding the exhaust.

Other engine has 1.25 line from pickup to sea pump, to cooler, to engine. This one has 1 inch or -16AN lines feeding the exhaust. For arguments sake, lets assume they both are running crossovers.

The engine with -10 lines, may show 20psi of water psi, while the one with -16 lines, may show 10psi of water pressure in the system. However, the one with -16 lines, is moving more water, thru the cooler, the engine, and the exhaust, therefore doing a better job of cooling things.

There is always the argument that if water moves too fast , it wont cool as well. Any engineer of heat exhangers will argue that. More flow/volume simply works better. The only reason this argument came about, was in cars, where if you removed the thermostat, and had too small of a radiator, the water may not spend enough time in the radiator, to be cooled down. In raw water cooled boats, we are not recirculating cooling water. We have an unlimited supply. Plus, we are not using air for an exchange. Reducing water flow, would be like the car guy saying "we have too much airflow past the radiator!"
Old 05-28-2017, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 352 Posts

Did check the level and it was a tad below full, so do believe I'm good
My bypass valve has been blocked off.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]567774[/ATTACH]

Its hard to see,but is there a bypass valve in the oil in passage of the oil filter pad?if so,need to remove it.
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (04-30-2021)
Old 05-28-2017, 03:07 PM
Registered

water psi is a touchy subject
Good info MT and have to agree with you. Don't know what the final outcome will be, but for right not I'm sure glad I installed the gauge and started changing things to increase oil flow. Guess the only reason I didn't start leaking from the remote filter before (pressure never went above 58 maybe 60 with old sender) is because using the stock oil lines was giving me so much restriction I wasn't getting the flow.

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
Its hard to see,but is there a bypass valve in the oil in passage of the oil filter pad?if so,need to remove it.
There is anything in the hole, had my head down there to make sure before installing the new remote filter head
Old 05-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Registered

Starting to think I have a ticking time bomb. Have a high volume oil pump so that's good with the HP I'm producing, but if I continue to develop 80 PSI oil pressure running hard, I'm going to spin a bearing or blow the oil filter apart. From what I understand is to use a high volume pump you need to increase the bearing clearance and if the was not done then I have an issue.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:38 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

All that over 80 psi ? Nah.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
All that over 80 psi ? Nah.
Please explain, I already have a leak around the oil filter gasket?
Old 05-31-2017, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have 100psi of oil pressure cold getting on plane at 4k rpm. 75-80 onve warmed up. No issues past 5 years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.