Old 09-21-2017, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts
Default Best mechanical fuel pump for 900 plus sc engine

title pretty much says it.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:21 PM
Registered

Can't remember the ones that were discussed last fall nor could find the thread but wanted to go with the ones that were mentioned in a couple threads. Seemed like they came in 130 gpm and choice of 15 or 30 psi.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Procam from Baker ?
http://www.bakerengineeringinc.com/P.../Pro-Cam-Parts
Ask I see dead people - think he got the low psi one and had fuel psi (volume) issues, then got the high psi one and that was fine...obviously with regulator.

Best pump out now I believe is the CV Products Nascar pump. It's like $600-$800,
Old 09-21-2017, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

pro cam 9351,baker pump[googel it].
Old 09-21-2017, 09:42 PM
Registered

That's it. Part #9375/15 psi. Tks for the response. also curious what MT did about a fuel regulator. I have 6 port fuel log and plans to run hose to each bowl from rear of engine but not sure what to do about regulator. Was also considering 4-port regulator. Just don't want to do this once and right. Restriction from regulators concern me.

SB if I absolutely had to I would. Lol.... when I did google BBC fuel pumps and bakers never showed up when I when to images and scrolled. I do recall icdedppl fuel pressure dropping to like 2 pds during long hard runs.

Last edited by getrdunn; 09-21-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:53 PM
Registered

Looks a lot like the one Teague sells only theirs is the 7-9 psi #9373. Thought it looked familiar.

Last edited by getrdunn; 09-21-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

if i remember correctly joe used the low pressure pump,im sure he will chime in sooner or later.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I am using the low pressure version.

If you are going to use the high pressure version, I would definitely use a return style regulator, and return the fuel to the tank, rather than use a dead head regulator.

My buddy Matt on here is using the low pressure pumps as well, his engines made 1020hp. So far so good. Mercury used the same pumps on the 900sc engine.

Fuel pressure is a sticky subject. Many years ago, before widebands, all we had was fuel psi gauges. Back then, if you saw any drop in fuel psi, you assumed fuel starvation issues, and made changes. However, there are alot of variables on whether or not there is sufficient fuel being fed to the engine. Obviously, the wideband will help tell that story. Aside from this, things like needle and seat size, needle and seat quantity, and so on.

Example. Lets say you have a single carb B&M 250 blower setup. Someone put .097 Needle and seats in it. Its a stout engine build, with good heads, cam, exhaust , and so on. You run a marginal fuel pump. You have a -6 line from pump to carbs. You hook a fuel psi gauge to the fuel line, and see good fuel pressure. Engine still can go lean.

Scenerio 2. You have a twin carb setup. Now this one has .130 needle and seats in all 4 corners. You have a -10 line feeding the log, and -6 to the bowls. At wot, your fuel psi gauge drops from 6.5psi to 5psi. You immediately think "LEAN", but that isnt always the case. While you are seeing a drop in pressure, you arent necessarily seeing a drop in FLOW. Carbs arent efi. They like flow, not pressure. Prostocks were running as little as 2psi of fuel psi thru the traps. Not much pressure, but gobs of flow.

Needle and seat diameter and quantity of needle and seats , is often overlooked . A .130 N&S, can flow a chit ton more fuel than a .097 N&S, at 6psi of pressure. Four needle and seats (twin carb), can flow...well double what a single carb can.

Those six valve baker style pumps, can flow a ton of fuel. But they arent going to do their job, if the tank pickup is too small, restrictive fittings, small lines, and what not are used.

The small diameter n&s assembles can tolerate more fuel psi, without coming off their seat, than the larger ones. The small N&S and excessive psi = lots of fuel bowl aeration (not good). If you wanna go a step further, BLP has bottom feed needle and seats. Not only do they flow great, they do so with very little aerating of the fuel.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 09-22-2017, 10:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Pressure, flow rate and volume are oftentimes misunderstood.

Also, with line size.....the relationship of line diameter and cross sectional area is not linear.
That is to say, a 1" line flows way more than twice that of a 1/2" line. same goes with any oriface, I.E....carb jets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.