Timing vs AFR vs EGT >

Timing vs AFR vs EGT

Notices

Timing vs AFR vs EGT

Old 11-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
My buddy with the dragster uses a new EFI system, not sure the name but he said it's filled with safety alarms and kills, saved his engine a few times, reads AF and EGT in each cylinder, knock sensors and all... not cheap but engines are not either, I wonder what a similar system can coast for a boat carb engine just to monitor each cylinder? also coil on plug setup too..
If you have the system to monitor and coil on plug you have the system already to control fuel.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
it be cool to see what there target afr is on the 600/700sci engines .
Joe,

I'll have Mike C.'s on the dyno in a week or two. I can send you the raw data.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:29 PM
Registered

Here is some good reading material! If you really want to geek out on your engine tuning a set up like this is really fun to use.

TFX Engine Technology - Supercharged Engine Combustion Data
Old 11-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I thought I read somewhere here that the 1075 engines ran on the leaner side?
might have been from me or 47excaliber,,his and our buddy's 1075's that I put an lm2 on showed some high 12's low 13's when cruising,timings up there too.when on the throttles it goes back into the 11's.
this is all from memory,been a couple of years.
wait till you see our,big head and cam whipple gen3 engine build,,1400hp on 93,here we come.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

I just got back to thread and need to catch up and refresh my mind on all the good post but did ideal quench get brought up and if so variation/difference btwn NA and SC. I am meeting up with machine-speed shop I use however I was thinking -.008 in the hole and a gasket close to .030 squished. Somewhere in the .038 to .042 range. We've been on the topic from time to time and seems to be debatable by some or in some cases many. Any comments at what point detonation becomes a factor along with total timing. Total timing vs quench? If I missed it in another post I apologize. Going back to reread everything.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems to me and other engine guys that timing is pretty much determined by combustion chamber, piston dome, back in the day racing std head BB chevys with huge domes, needed 36-38 timing for best power(long distance over a mountain dome). later on with big chief style heads(very small chamber) and not much dome to get same compression, less timing needed. small blocks the same, when the vortec heads came out in 96 and guys found about 40hp on a reg SB but also found out needed less timing on these as well, some due to compression increase and design of the combustion chamber for better flame travel, so its all about how fast the flame travels...
Old 11-26-2017, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Kinda reminds me of when I built my first 383 sbc in 1985 with flat tops and the camel back-double hump heads (closed chamber). Even way back then I was thinking it would be a more efficient combustion/explosion. I sometimes wonder about certain chamber designs and those mountain top, high compression pistons you refereed to work out in builds. Even though built every day you'd think they could potentially be harmful to some internals.