Donzi Classic 18 upgrade >

Donzi Classic 18 upgrade

Notices

Donzi Classic 18 upgrade

Old 01-27-2018, 09:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

Remember the 22 classic that had a lot of work done to it so he could run 100 plus?
Huge handful at speed, I understand the driver was very experienced with the boat but it seems to me, 100 is just a bit more than the boat could handle.

Tone down your speed aspirations or increase your budget, buy bigger and stay safe.

RR

EDIT: Can someone confirm I have the right video???
(don't want to look like a complete idiot)

Last edited by rak rua; 01-27-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Remember the 22 classic that had a lot of work done to it so he could run 100 plus?
Huge handful at speed, I understand the driver was very experienced with the boat but it seems to me, 100 is just a bit more than the boat could handle.
https://youtu.be/TAhZFOSNOUs

Tone down your speed aspirations or increase your budget, buy bigger and stay safe.

RR

EDIT: Can someone confirm I have the right video???
(don't want to look like a complete idiot)
That boat had a modified hull and an adrenaline pumped driver who did not back off he throttle when the boat started to jump around. Watch this one:
Old 01-28-2018, 08:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
That boat had a modified hull and an adrenaline pumped driver who did not back off he throttle when the boat started to jump around. Watch this one:
That thing in your video is wicked. Must be beautifully balanced but it still needs a good driver and the right conditions. Don't think I'd be too comfortable at that speed.

RR
Old 01-28-2018, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
That thing in your video is wicked. Must be beautifully balanced but it still needs a good driver and the right conditions. Don't think I'd be too comfortable at that speed.
RR
I hear what you are saying RR. I never owned a 22 but I do have a 16 and used to have a 18 with a BBC. Doing 65 was enough with the 18. Maybe if I would have kept it longer I would have wanted more power but I never wanted to go faster at the time due to (imho) you feel like you are sitting on the boat and not inside of the boat (same reason Brownie started building the Nova 19's). 22's are a bit different but you are right, that boat is strung out on flat water. F_in wow it looks like a blast!
Old 01-28-2018, 05:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
I hear what you are saying RR. I never owned a 22 but I do have a 16 and used to have a 18 with a BBC. Doing 65 was enough with the 18. Maybe if I would have kept it longer I would have wanted more power but I never wanted to go faster at the time due to (imho) you feel like you are sitting on the boat and not inside of the boat (same reason Brownie started building the Nova 19's). 22's are a bit different but you are right, that boat is strung out on flat water. F_in wow it looks like a blast!
Yeah, If you drive a boat enough, you get a feel for when it's on the limit.
Years ago I had a 16' ski race boat with a modified 2.4 Bridgeport. I hit 96 on radar ONCE and vowed never to try it again. Up to 80 was a controllable chine walk but beyond was not worth the risk.

RR
Old 01-28-2018, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Those speeds are too fast for me too and mid 80s with the reliable 525 is right where I want to be. I'd rarely want to go faster. Plenty of folks are doing it though!
Old 01-28-2018, 07:48 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Last edited by GPM; 01-28-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:48 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I suppose if the 22 Classic was the only boat on the planet and you just had to go 100 mph it might be worth the chance of not coming back alive. There are boats out there that were actually designed to run those speeds with less risk to it's passengers. Just my opinion.