Relocating Drive Fill Bottles

Notices

Relocating Drive Fill Bottles

Old 10-30-2002, 12:23 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by blown formula
You can move them anywhere, as long as you keep them higher than the drives. Or the alternative is to remove them. They only refill the drive when you have lost fluid, anyway..... or another alternative is use only one bottle and "T" it to both drives.
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The bracket holding the newer square bottle is designed to be able to mount to the fuel filter bracket on bigger Mercruisers. I wouldn't tee the two into one bottle. It cuts down on volume and can increase internal drive pressure from temp increases. Also, if you do get water in one drive, it may get into the other. Just thinking out loud, but I wouldn't tee them together.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:24 PM
Allan4

Good thought, but I would not use one bottle either. Can make future diagnostics an issue, if you are leaking out fluid or in water from one of the drives, plus, if you drain the bottle on one drive and do not keep an eye on it you could end up damaging both drives. Iwould use two bottles, cuts downs on the chance of something wrong going unnoticed. What about on the back of the seat??

Old 10-31-2002, 07:17 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

You guys have good points. I don't think using one bottle for two drives is a good idea.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:59 AM
Registered

If you check drive oil levels before each run, just like you are supposed to check engine oil levels, one bottle should not be a problem. If it starts going down excessively, just add the second bottle for monitoring......or pull the prop and look for oil slime....
and I believe before water could be transferred from one drive to another thru a 3/16 hose, the bottle would have to be empty! and shame on you for letting that happen!! Do you never raise the hatch during a day of boating?? Most do, just to look things over.....that's how I found 7 quarts of oil in the bilge BEFORE I totally destroyed an engine (just lost one cylinder & piston).
Old 10-31-2002, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(just lost one cylinder & piston).
just lost? didnt you just buy a boat to? the piston loss wasnt on the new boat i hope?
Old 10-31-2002, 10:28 AM
Registered

The melted piston was lost in the 312 Formula I bought in February last year as a Valentines Day gift for my wife!! ( ) That is the best excuse for buying a boat I have ever come up with!! It happened due to gov't mandated fuel additives. For the complete story search for "Meltdown" ....it's interesting. A journey of discovery!!
Old 10-31-2002, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whoa, definietly sounds interesting, i will search. F-ing govt though, take our money and then still screw us over.