Camshaft Timing? >

Camshaft Timing?

Notices

Camshaft Timing?

Old 10-26-2002, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft Timing?

When installing a new timing chain and sprocket set, do I just install the new sprokets on the shafts and line up the timing marks on the sprokets? Is this an acceptabe way to time the camshaft
Old 10-26-2002, 03:45 PM
Registered

Yup, pretty much. Put the crank gear on first. Make sure it's fully seated on the crank. Turn the crank until the mark on the gear is straight up (assuming the engine is upright on the engine stand). Put the cam gear on the cam with one bolt, finger-tight, so you can turn the cam to the proper position, which would put the timing mark on the big procket downward. The two marks should be lined up with the cam and crankshaft centerlines. Remove the big sprocket and hang the chain over it. Install the sprocket/chain, making sure that the timing marks are lined up after you start the cam bolts. Of course, this is assuming you are doing a GM engine. By the way, when you're done tightening the cam bolts, the engine is actually on TDC compression stroke for #6 cylinder, NOT #1 cylinder. Rotate the crank one revolution to put #1 on TDC compression strke. Clear as mud now, right?
Old 10-26-2002, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Thrillseeker,
You should be able to get away without checking cam timing, but if you are looking for the best results, I would!
By taking the time to "degree" in the cam, you are making sure it is installed to the cam manufacturer's specs.
It isn't that hard to do and that way you will know for sure where you are at if you decide to try to verying the cam timing.
I usually do the intake lobe centerline method, finding the point of maximum lift in degrees after top dead center (ATDC).
The cam spec cards wil tell you what it should be.
Old 10-26-2002, 04:19 PM
Registered

Im not sure I have a manual and specs for that 300 tempest. Ill look. You really should degree it in. I have the degree wheel if you need it.
Old 10-26-2002, 08:38 PM
Registered

If you are realy a hands on type of guy I think you will find it is not all that hard and it will take you to a new level of knowing what and how.When and if you do degree it in you can also do a quick check of the harmonic balancer to make shure that TDC on it and TDC on the piston are on the money at the pointer on the cover or block as it will be right in your face at this point. If some one is nice enough to loan you there dregree kit do it. If you find that you would like to buy the stuff,I got mine right from comp cams.If you don't mind spending a couple of bucks to get your own stuff get just the crankshaft socket #4793 for sbc and #4797 for bbc and there dregreeing wheel #4790 that fits on the crankshaft socket,also I got there tool that slides down into the lifter bore in order to measure lobe lift part #4925 and there dial indicator#4909 as it is so much easer to use than the magnet base one that a lot of people will try to sell you and it is just about the same price.You can make your own piston stop with a thick pice of steel and two holes drilled in it no problem.Comp Cams # (901)795-2400.Hope I didn't overload you on this one James

Last edited by FloridianSon; 10-26-2002 at 08:49 PM.