LS Build: In Progress >

LS Build: In Progress

Notices

LS Build: In Progress

Old 01-20-2019, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I heard about your 67 gto death grip ride. Bad azz from what I heard. What ratio rockers you running. I may have missed in OP.

Dennis r built and just sold a while back some stroked ls3 with ls3 cnc ported heads and made like 650 hp at 6,500. Ck out his build sheet. Ran them in a 32 sunsation 88 mph.
I guess Tom told you about her. Puckered his butthole up a lil with some 100mph burnouts. Lol. Im running a 1.7 ratio. Im letting my cam lobe choice do the work. The second two ls engine being built are actually for Tom in the Sunny I gave him. Much milder build than mine though. I spoke to dennis when I was in michigan about his builds and have his cam specs. Very nice numbers on his part and on hell of a nice guy. Im looking to drag power down into a more usuable range for where I plan on running. I am specing a single pattern as we speak. Contemplating 232/232 114+2 and 237/237 114.5+4.5. Events look good and both keep me in range of rpm. Lower torque trade off is contemplation.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 674 Likes on 343 Posts

so now your gonna run a 3/4 race cam.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30

have not not heard that term since 1987
Old 01-21-2019, 11:12 AM
Registered

Your killing me Smalls. Lol. Ordered 237/237 114.5+3.5 .621/.612. Very broad power but will loose my past peak power without exhaust split which is not a concern. I build my cam totally off of events. Not @.050 or adv numbers. Concern with this cam is planing as the daytona is very tricky to push over and low end will indeed suffer. Counting on the dual plane to do its job there. Will have great power from 3500-6200 though. We will still be utilizing the original cam on the Dominator which is a 6.0 ls3 heads.

Last edited by mggdoors; 01-21-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 674 Likes on 343 Posts

marine motors like some split in the camshaft,even the car guys w/ good headers run split.just remember to turn up that correction factor knob on the dyno.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

I love projects like this and looking forward to the results.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 1,476 Likes on 801 Posts

Keep up the good work and keep us posted regardless. Hey worse case scenario you don't achieve your goals but you certainly don't reach them by couch sitting just thinking about it. Your going after it. Would be great if you could try a couple different cams on the dyno and share your results. That's kind of the backbone of this site and much appreciated by most. Also do a search on even split cams here. There was a thread on it a fews ago if I recall. The last custom grinds I bought had only a 4 deg split and made great power once I got the valvetrain stable. The last even split cam I ran was in a 383. Never forget comp labeled it as king of the drive in cam and that it was. 292 magnum cam.

I ran that with GM worked over camel back heads (closed chamber) with a non superior exhaust port. Was a crap shoot at the time being only 18 but made excellent power.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Registered

Keep up the good work and keep us posted regardless. Hey worse case scenario you don't achieve your goals but you certainly don't reach them by couch sitting just thinking about it. Your going after it. Would be great if you could try a couple different cams on the dyno and share your results. That's kind of the backbone of this site and much appreciated by most. Also do a search on even split cams here. There was a thread on it a fews ago if I recall. The last custom grinds I bought had only a 4 deg split and made great power once I got the valvetrain stable. The last even split cam I ran was in a 383. Never forget comp labeled it as king of the drive in cam and that it was. 292 magnum cam.

I ran that with GM worked over camel back heads (closed chamber) with a non superior exhaust port. Was a crap shoot at the time being only 18 but made excellent power.
Hi John. Testing with ls3 heads has shown on a stock displacement 6.0-6.2 that a 0-4 split, reverse and forward split believe it or not, works excellent. On a 4” stroke the same applies. The difference I have found is in the overlap #. Stock displacement is happy around 4 where the 4” stroke likes 8 degrees. The cam I specced nails these nimbers. The lack of split will loose my carrying of the power past peak but I am not shifting gears where We need to rev past peak to drop back into the powerband on the shift. I will hit the peak and set the rev limiter. Alot of guys think these heads need a big split due to the .500-.600 ie numbersbut never consider the 2-3-4 ie ratio which is excellent. I will definitley condider cutting a few more cams for testing purposes to show gains and losses.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:32 PM
Registered

marine motors like some split in the camshaft,even the car guys w/ good headers run split.just remember to turn up that correction factor knob on the dyno.
I respectfully disagree. The events justify the cam. Mainly ivc and evo. The ivc determines peak. The evo determines where the powerband is located. The split determines how well it holds power past peak but also softens low and mid power creates unneeded overlap on in my case a rather lazy intake port. Low initial velocity creates intake reversion due to overlap. So one this particular head I do want less split which is clearly justified. Ill post a pic of the cam card when they arrive so you know my upcoming dyno sheets are not bs. Ill also post the baro. Humidity. Temp and correction factor being used. Wherever it ends up hp wise is where it is. But the numbers will be real and a good aid for future builds. Again the pount of this thread.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

I heard about your 67 gto death grip ride. Bad azz from what I heard. What ratio rockers you running. I may have missed in OP.

Dennis r built and just sold a while back some stroked ls3 with ls3 cnc ported heads and made like 650 hp at 6,500. Ck out his build sheet. Ran them in a 32 sunsation 88 mph.

I bought them from Dennis. 416CI, 651HP @6500, 563Tq @5000. They're beautiful. Going in a Sutphen 30 Ocean Pacer this summer.

Cam sheet:

Last edited by 242LS; 01-22-2019 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
neuer_Typ (11-04-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.