Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best option for Bravo One Sea Water pump ? >

Best option for Bravo One Sea Water pump ?

Notices

Best option for Bravo One Sea Water pump ?

Old 02-18-2020, 02:06 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best option for Bravo One Sea Water pump ?

What are the cool kids using for sea water pumps nowadays? I've been looking all over and I see tons of people having problems with what seems like every version of Hardin's pumps. I love the idea of stainless but am I better off just running the stock plastic pump and rebuilding it every season. I'll be in saltwater, probably never rev over 4500 rpm, 383 SB with heat exchangers. I ran across a post regarding crank mounted Johnson pumps, people seemed to like them but I haven't heard enough feedback to go that route. I had one on my old Wellcraft when I was a kid and it leaked like a *****.

Is there an option that has a plastic housing and two wear plates, I have seen one wear plate, seemed to me it should have on on each side....?
Old 02-18-2020, 06:32 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by tbev
What are the cool kids using for sea water pumps nowadays? I've been looking all over and I see tons of people having problems with what seems like every version of Hardin's pumps. I love the idea of stainless but am I better off just running the stock plastic pump and rebuilding it every season. I'll be in saltwater, probably never rev over 4500 rpm, 383 SB with heat exchangers. I ran across a post regarding crank mounted Johnson pumps, people seemed to like them but I haven't heard enough feedback to go that route. I had one on my old Wellcraft when I was a kid and it leaked like a *****.

Is there an option that has a plastic housing and two wear plates, I have seen one wear plate, seemed to me it should have on on each side....?

i had cam driven water pumps,,switched to normal cir pump, then added a johnson crank driven water pump. i have not had any issues, but only on second season.
the cam driven was nice, as you didnt need a sea pump, but i had replaced on pump and impeller in 4 seasons.
i also questioned the mounting on the johnson pump to lower pulley,,,so i had my machine recess a pocket in lower pulley for pump to give a very secure mounting set up.

i also made bracket to hold pump.

Last edited by flashgordon; 02-18-2020 at 06:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-2020, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

With all pumps there are wear plates. If the pump is reused the wear plates will need to be replaced. If there is enough room to mount on crankshaft I would place there because its so easy to replace/repair. I have a Hardin pump and used it 2 seasons, but going back to plastic
Old 02-18-2020, 07:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

What's everyone's issue with the stainless hardin's? I have one and it pumps water like a mofo! Are there hidden issues that I'm not seeing?

That being said...I love the hardin...fittings are stupid expensive to screw in but besides that I haven't seen any issues with it and it looks sweet lol
Old 02-18-2020, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

What's everyone's issue with the stainless hardin's?
For me there are 2 issues.

First, weight I have to hang upside down to install, and the thing is heavy in that position.

Second, there is a machined surface inside which was not done properly and causes added wear on impeller (factory defect). The impeller pumped fine for 2 seasons but the second season I was seeing pressures a bit lower. This will be the second season on the plastic housing and will compare
Old 02-18-2020, 07:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

I gotcha...being a single engine in mine with room the weight thing I don't have to be concerned but def see what you're saying..they aren't light lol. I did notice some pretty sharp edges on the inside but pulled it apart after 8-10 hours run time and didn't see any wear on the rubber from it. I purchased mine fairly recently..I would say within the last year and a half or so...wonder if they fixed the design flaws?
Old 02-18-2020, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Replace the impeller and plastic housing each season. It’s about $40 more than just a good impeller.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I run stock and just replace them when needed. Order the kit with housing. Don’t cheap out. But the good quicksilver stuff and you’ll have no problems.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 447 Likes on 245 Posts

if you have the room crank driven pumps work awesome there are 2 different lengths the longer one pumps more water its also easy to change the impeller
Old 02-18-2020, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boostbros
if you have the room crank driven pumps work awesome there are 2 different lengths the longer one pumps more water its also easy to change the impeller
Are the ones your referring to both Johnson pumps? Can you recommend a place / part numbers? Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.