Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Question about transom water pickup installation >

Question about transom water pickup installation

Question about transom water pickup installation

Old 03-30-2020, 11:52 AM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about transom water pickup installation

I have a couple of questions about installing transom water pickups. I am installing them on my 1988 Cigarette 31 Bullet so the boat has a straight hull with no steps. I searched here on the board as well as other places online and it seems that some mount the pickups straight up and down while others mount them at an angle to match the angle of the bottom of the hull. I am sure both ways work but is one better than the other? I have the Hardin adjustable pickups so I will be able to fine tune them, but is there a recommended starting point on how much they should extend past the bottom of the transom? Thanks!
Steve888 is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 12:00 PM
  #2  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (6)
 
F-2 Speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest & T-Rock
Posts: 6,971
Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

What are you using them for ? engine cooling, intercoolers ect.
F-2 Speedy is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 12:02 PM
  #3  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy View Post
What are you using them for ? engine cooling, intercoolers ect.
Sorry I should have included that info. They will be for engine cooling. Thanks
Steve888 is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 12:22 PM
  #4  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: syracuse ny
Posts: 442
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Steve888 View Post
I have a couple of questions about installing transom water pickups. I am installing them on my 1988 Cigarette 31 Bullet so the boat has a straight hull with no steps. I searched here on the board as well as other places online and it seems that some mount the pickups straight up and down while others mount them at an angle to match the angle of the bottom of the hull. I am sure both ways work but is one better than the other? I have the Hardin adjustable pickups so I will be able to fine tune them, but is there a recommended starting point on how much they should extend past the bottom of the transom? Thanks!
What Hardin pick-ups were you thinking about , because i bought a pair 4years ago and on the first trip out I broke the small weld on one of the adjustment bands and lost part of the pick-up
green lightning is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 12:44 PM
  #5  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: syracuse ny
Posts: 442
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I mounted mine straight down because i did not want them to

inter fear with the drain plug
green lightning is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 01:15 PM
  #6  
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kemah, Tx
Posts: 268
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Mine are at an angle, so the pickups are perpendicular to the hull bottom. Flush with hull at the transom, angled down to 3/16Ē maybe 1/4 below at the rear. My boat is under 70mph so no water pressure issues





Last edited by sailtexas186548; 03-30-2020 at 08:48 PM.
sailtexas186548 is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 08:26 PM
  #7  
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 567
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Probably donít want them extending past the bottom of the hull. Maybe level or up a little. The water curls up when itís past the boat.
tmmii is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 09:21 PM
  #8  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: syracuse ny
Posts: 442
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tmmii View Post
Probably donít want them extending past the bottom of the hull. Maybe level or up a little. The water curls up when itís past the boat.
The depth of the pick-up is going to depend on the boat bottom and water needs . When I first set my pick-ups in place there were a1/8in below the bottom that gave me 15lbs of pressure at 96mph , then when I added my 2 stage water pumps and inter coolers I could only get 5 to 7lbs of water pressure , I had welded my pick-ups and were no longer adjustable so I fish mouthed the hull right in front of the pick-ups and was able to get my pressure back.
green lightning is offline  
Old 04-11-2020, 05:46 PM
  #9  
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sarasota FL. Priest River ID
Posts: 224
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Probably not that critical for a single stage pump. However, as the previous post indicated, as you increase your pump capacity you may need to increase the supply.
These homemade ones are feeding three stage pumps that serves oil coolers, heat exch, and intercoolers separate


ly so they are oversized and flush in the leading edge with the trailing edge 3/16Ē low.
hoodoo is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser