Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Starter Issues >

Starter Issues

Notices

Starter Issues

Old 09-03-2020, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Hard to diagnose over the Internet, but I’m thinking ignition issue,How does it crank with the ignition coil disconnected?
Old 09-03-2020, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
Hard to diagnose over the Internet, but I’m thinking ignition issue,How does it crank with the ignition coil disconnected?
It cranks fine under both circumstances. Ignition and start switch are separate so I can crank without ignition enabled. With ignition on it simply fires and then it will suddenly blow s the starter
Old 09-03-2020, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Have you looked at all of the flywheel teeth or just the ones visible with the starter removed?
Could there still be small bits of the orig bendix gears embedded/fused between the flywheel teeth?
Orig flywheel?

Last edited by zz28zz; 09-03-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

is this an over voltage issue ?
Old 09-03-2020, 05:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Have you looked at all of the flywheel teeth or just the ones visible with the starter removed?
Could there still be small bits of the orig bendix gears embedded/fused between the flywheel teeth?
Orig flywheel?
From what can be seen it looks okay. It is the Starboard motor so of course limited visibility. We did crank it over by hand and look at through the starter hole and it looks to be okay.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
is this an over voltage issue ?
No Voltage is fine, I think that would effect the starter solenoid and motor more that this.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:42 PM
Registered

Thank you all, we think we have pretty much through the process of elimination determined that it is starter backup. Now to determine the root cause. the guess is that it is not retarding through the Daytona Ignition Box at start up. Just need to determine how to test and correct. Hopefully tech support will get back to me tomorrow to discuss. I will post the final answer and resolve for any others that might run into this in the future.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Did you replace the bent bolts? If so, were they the same length? I've seen bolts slightly too long going into blind holes, bottom out and convince the installer that it's tight when its just bottomed-out.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Did you replace the bent bolts? If so, were they the same length? I've seen bolts slightly too long going into blind holes, bottom out and convince the installer that it's tight when its just bottomed-out.
Yes new each time.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by RBeyer
Thank you all, we think we have pretty much through the process of elimination determined that it is starter backup. Now to determine the root cause. the guess is that it is not retarding through the Daytona Ignition Box at start up. Just need to determine how to test and correct. Hopefully tech support will get back to me tomorrow to discuss. I will post the final answer and resolve for any others that might run into this in the future.
Disable the fuel supply, put a timing light on it, and crank it over watching the balancer
The following users liked this post:
JaayTeee (09-04-2020)