Need help with excessive oil getting into cylinders on new build >

Need help with excessive oil getting into cylinders on new build

Notices

Need help with excessive oil getting into cylinders on new build

Old 10-17-2020, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz View Post
This seems to add credence to the theory that oil isn't draining back down from top side of heads quick enough. You can "gasket match" (using old head gasket) the oil return holes in head to same holes in block to see how well they align. I've heard of people "moving" the holes slightly to improve alignment. I may be off in left field here, but it's a quick and easy thing to verify/eliminate.

Just realized this is a Ford which I have very little experience with. Don't they have oil return passages at front and back of head? Hard to tell from the pics.
Yes this is a sbf. I know I'm an outsider here 🙃. I do run a bbc in the boat though. There are a lot of very smart members here that I hope someone would catch something that was missed.

The sbf head drain back holes leave something to be desired for sure. But I ran these heads and block for the last 10 years with no issues, so I don't think that's the main problem. I ran the old engine to 7500 and never once seen smoke from it. The oil issue happens at low rpm also. I ran it at 1800rpm high idle and it was smoking like crazy. The oil covered valve picture was from after the high idle. I'm not saying the the drain backs couldn't use improving but the oil pump isn't flowing that much at 1800rpm to flow more than the drain back could handle. 7500rpm for an extended run like in a boat and it could definitely be an issue. The engine runs at wot about 9seconds max. The time to run the 1/4 mile. My typical cruise rpm on highway is around 2100. I would do that for miles at a time. Also ran heavier oil than the 5-30 on the working engine. The heavier oil should drain back slower.

Come to think of it, i think this problem happens when the engine warms up. Unless the oil is just burning more than, not sure.

Everyone please understand i am not arguing with anyone here. I really appreciate all the help you are giving. I'm hoping there is an ah hah moment that comes out of this thread. First builds were almost identical to the engine that ran for 10 years with no issue. That's what makes this so strange. Something definitely happened/ changed. Hoping I can find it before I give up, which is getting close.

I have a small thought that it could be something with the heads, don't know. That is one of the few parts that wasn't changed out over all these last builds. Again these heads had no issues prior. Not to say something didn't happen to them when they were freshened up. If i thought there was a good chance the heads were the problem, I would buy new ones. Issue with new heads is they don't make my exact ones anymore. The newer version was slightly different valve angles which won't line up with my pistons. Then I'm getting mixed answers if my current shaft rockers are compatible with the newer castings. If I need to buy both it would probably be another 4-5k so I'm holding back as of now. That's a lot of money just taking a guess.

You can sort of see one of the oil drain back holes in the lower right of the head.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Last edited by underpsi68; 10-17-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

You said “sucking pan dry” on the dyno so u added a quart. That sounds like a “new” issue, indicating more oil is being pumped that the old problem free builds. I assume new oil pump, or at least gone through this rebuild? I would start there.

i bought some “rebuilt” bbc engines and long story short the valve springs pulled the valves seals off the guides and up to the bottom of the retainers. Intake valves had the exact same puddling and smoke at idle and high idle you do. I think you are flooding the valve covers and it is running down the valve stems.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sailtexas186548 View Post
You said “sucking pan dry” on the dyno so u added a quart. That sounds like a “new” issue, indicating more oil is being pumped that the old problem free builds. I assume new oil pump, or at least gone through this rebuild? I would start there.

i bought some “rebuilt” bbc engines and long story short the valve springs pulled the valves seals off the guides and up to the bottom of the retainers. Intake valves had the exact same puddling and smoke at idle and high idle you do. I think you are flooding the valve covers and it is running down the valve stems.
Old to new build I ran the same oil pan. Both were using a high volume oil pump, a new different pump though. I never had old engine on dyno so I don't know if it would have been a problem years ago. That would be nice to know.

I thought about blocking off the drain back holes in the head, putting valve cover on and filling head up with oil over the valve seals, than pulling vacuum thru the intake port to see if the oil gets sucked in. You could be on to something.

Just a note, running the same oil pump between old and new setup. Mellings hv. I did buy another brand new pump when I did the dart block because it had to be clearanced differently for the new block. Both of the new pump builds have issues.

I removed an intake and exhaust valve spring from one cylinder. I filled up the spring pockets with alcohol (thinner than water). I was hoping to see it trickle into the intake port of the head but it didn't. Maybe I need to remove all the springs and fill the entire head up with alcohol and see what happens. I have always wondered if the head guy did something to the casting when he machined the spring pockets deeper. I could not find any thing YET.

Last edited by underpsi68; 10-17-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:20 PM
Registered

Can anyone recommend a GOOD head guy around ny? Guy that freshed up my heads is supposedly top in the field, but things do happen.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Understand same heads and block for 10 years. I'd still lay the old head gasket over the head and block just to make sure head gasket isn't partially blocking the drainback holes.
Was the same manuf/part # head gasket used on all the "bad" builds? If so, maybe a bad batch got released?

Is oil pressure significantly higher than it was before this issue started? Anything replaced in the valve train that could increase oil flow to rockers, like lifters or push rods?
Old 10-17-2020, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Just want to say that the last hone picture "looks" fine to me, maybe even "rougher" than what Ii end up with. But its hard to say with a picture. Like I said earlier most modern rings want a pretty "smooth" finish and rarely have a problem sealing.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 113 Likes on 57 Posts

How is your pcv system arranged?

does it pickup from the valve covers or intake manifold? We had an issue where intake tray was removed but pcv system not re-located to valve covers. Resulted in a ton of oil in the intake that ultimately found its way to the top of the valves.

Last edited by 1MOSES1; 10-18-2020 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (10-21-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 09:43 AM
SB
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1 View Post
How is your pcv system arranged?

does it pickup from the valve covers or intake manifold? We had an issue where Windage tray was removed but pcv system not re-located yo valve covers. Resulted in a ton of oil in the intake that ultimately found its way to the top of the valves.
When you said windage tray, by chance did you mean the intake valley tray ?
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (10-21-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 113 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SB View Post
When you said windage tray, by chance did you mean the intake valley tray ?
yes sorry...my mistake. Will correct.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1MOSES1:
articfriends (10-21-2020), SB (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

No pcv sys installed. See post #22.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.