Need help with excessive oil getting into cylinders on new build >

Need help with excessive oil getting into cylinders on new build

Notices

Need help with excessive oil getting into cylinders on new build

Old 10-19-2020, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Understand same heads and block for 10 years. I'd still lay the old head gasket over the head and block just to make sure head gasket isn't partially blocking the drainback holes.
Was the same manuf/part # head gasket used on all the "bad" builds? If so, maybe a bad batch got released?

Is oil pressure significantly higher than it was before this issue started? Anything replaced in the valve train that could increase oil flow to rockers, like lifters or push rods?
Old engine had Felpro MLS. Last 4 (new) builds all used Cometic MLS- replaced each time with 2 different thicknesses (.005 difference) . I don't have old block of old Felpro gasket to look at but I am ordering Felpro for this next, hopefully last build. The Cometic hg i have lines up with the head drain back. The new Dart block drain back hole is slightly off. I wish I had old block to check how it lined up.

Oil pressure is slightly higher now, but around the same at idle and cruise. Old engine at 65psi. The last 80 of i remember correctly, do many builds lol. Same lifters and rockers. Different push rods.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BillK
Just want to say that the last hone picture "looks" fine to me, maybe even "rougher" than what Ii end up with. But its hard to say with a picture. Like I said earlier most modern rings want a pretty "smooth" finish and rarely have a problem sealing.
The pictures make the hone look much more coarser than it appears in person. I called the shop that just did the hone and asked what stones they used (very nice guys).
1st C3-A55 220 grit
2nd C30-J65 280 grit 2-3 strokes
Finish 320 brush 2 strokes

It sounds like the hone is what I wanted. Definitely rougher than last 4. We both thought it looked like a 400 finish. Just very cautious with everything that has happened.

Bill whats your opinion on the Total Seal AP stainless top ring? Hard on the cylinder? Hard to seal? Need rougher finish to work?
Old 10-19-2020, 05:03 PM
Registered

Had someone else look over the heads this weekend. Couldn't believe the amount of oil everywhere. Honestly, when I pulled the engine and disassembled it back in August, I put everything away and haven't really looked at it. It appears that all 8 exhaust ports have a stream of oil coming from guide/valve. You can see the trail on all 8. Valve seals were what was on there for 3 of the builds and have been replaced. Last builder changed the intake seal to a different type. Yesterday new eyes said they appear too tight and weren't sitting on the valve right. Than was looking closely at the oil trail in exhaust port. Checked to see if valve guides were loose in head, didn't appear to be. Guides are the same, never changed.

I agree with what was stated earlier that the oil seems to be coming from above.

Don't know how but thinking it is something with the turbos. No smoke on dyno running n/a (put camera down spark plug holes. To of pistons looked perfect). Put in car and starts smoking. 1st time took 125 miles to show up. Later builds faster and faster.

Any ideas on how the turbos could be causing this issue? Turbos don't appear to be leaking. Bone dry.

Exhaust ports from one head. Other looks similar.

Last edited by underpsi68; 10-19-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Old engine had Felpro MLS. Last 4 (new) builds all used Cometic MLS- replaced each time with 2 different thicknesses (.005 difference) . I don't have old block of old Felpro gasket to look at but I am ordering Felpro for this next, hopefully last build. The Cometic hg i have lines up with the head drain back. The new Dart block drain back hole is slightly off. I wish I had old block to check how it lined up.

Oil pressure is slightly higher now, but around the same at idle and cruise. Old engine at 65psi. The last 80 of i remember correctly, do many builds lol. Same lifters and rockers. Different push rods.
So oil burning issues started when switching to Dart block? (not sure if I'm following the progression properly)
I'd try to "gasket match" the drain-back holes if mis-aligned.
You had stated issue happened once at 1800 RPM in the driveway. Doesn't sound like oil press increased much at that RPM.

Got a pic of head gasket on the Dart block showing mis-alignment of oil drain-back holes?
Do you still have the old Cometic MLS head gasket to check hole alignment with?
Old 10-19-2020, 06:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by zz28zz
So oil burning issues started when switching to Dart block? (not sure if I'm following the progression properly)
I'd try to "gasket match" the drain-back holes if mis-aligned.
You had stated issue happened once at 1800 RPM in the driveway. Doesn't sound like oil press increased much at that RPM.

Got a pic of head gasket on the Dart block showing mis-alignment of oil drain-back holes?
Do you still have the old Cometic MLS head gasket to check hole alignment with?
Sorry, it's hard to follow along, there is so much going on.

Happened in first 3 builds with old block.

Thought we found issue after 3rd build where the 2 turbo drains where draining into the crank weights. Changed oil pan and drain location and bought new dart block, crank and rods.

Rear drain is the centered one

Last edited by underpsi68; 10-19-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:19 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

And how large are your turbo oil drains ? Lengthy thread. Sorry if mentioned.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
And how large are your turbo oil drains ? Lengthy thread. Sorry if mentioned.
No worries. I'm having trouble following lol.

-10 drains
Old 10-19-2020, 09:04 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Well, if you are 100% sure they drain over oil level in pan, i’d clkean oil out of ports, get some oil dye and run it for a few miles anyway and go looking.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:13 PM
Registered

Forgive me but I'm not sure what the dye will do? Oil is everywhere. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Engine is completely apart now. Has to be reassembled. Am ready for it but would like to find something. This is build #5. Not sure if there is a #6. Lol

-10 female bungs welded in each side on the kickout. Rear sump holds 7 qts (I measured). Pan has a pretty large front sump to clear the Ford front mounted oil pump. Than the filter holds almost a qt. Oil level by where drains return is definitely below. Engine runs 7qts of oil.

Last edited by underpsi68; 10-19-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:38 AM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68

Bill whats your opinion on the Total Seal AP stainless top ring? Hard on the cylinder? Hard to seal? Need rougher finish to work?
I have never used them so I cant say.

The die might have shown a trail through an intake gasket or somewhere else where oil should not have been.
The following users liked this post:
underpsi68 (10-20-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.