MPI oil filter head. Restriction? >

MPI oil filter head. Restriction?

Notices

MPI oil filter head. Restriction?

Old 03-09-2021, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder
Obviously all 3 of us are overthinking this, I see the extra strength Excendrin in your picture....
😂. That’s a must have at all times. When that doesn’t cut it vic’s and val’s next in line. Then I get really dumb!
The following users liked this post:
87MirageIntruder (03-10-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 04:22 PM
Registered

What’s the pressure (filter inlet) size on the block. It would make sense to me to stay ABOVE that size for all fittings (inside diameter). etc and avoid harsh 90’s. All be fine unless one is running 50 ft of oil hose.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

I think the center where it's screws into the block is 1/2-inch. That's the hex that's needed to pull it. I'm also using a Canton adapter but it's a 90 degree... the internals are 1/2-inch NPT. The adapter screws onto the GM fitting so it's definitely 1/2-inch going into the block. Output from the pump is about the same, maybe a little smaller. I just picked up the other short block and can measure it once I have it on the stand.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No Excedrin or Tylenol-based anything for me unless I have a major fever or something. I drink too much for Tylenol! Kidding! But maybe not! LOL
Old 03-10-2021, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

I am actually dealing with this right now, I am adding EMI thunder manifolds to my 502MPI's so instead of buying the $80 EMI filter head bracket and hose extender kit, I'm spending about 1500 on new oiling systems haha. Well, basically doing it ahead of engine refresh next winter when I would be buying it anyways.

I have had several conversations with Smitty about this. Even at stock power levels, I notice my stock coolers are way too small even at 415 hp level. With engines being tired, I have quite a large difference in hot oil pressures these days. About 60 seconds after coming off plane, I gain back 20 psi of oil pressure at idle from the oil cooling back off. Also, I have found the factory pan has terrible windage control, especially with increased stroke. I used the factory 8 qt. pan on my 548 I had built but with very high capacity thermostatic oiling system. I still had oil temperature and pressure loss issues, mostly I believe from windage and oil aeration.

I have decided by the time I either buy a thermostatic cooler or a remote oil thermostat and all the extra fittings, the extra cost of this over a normal large port filter head becomes nil and this simplifies plumbing greatly (available at Summit):
https://www.improvedracing.com/remot...t-env-170.html

I will go with -10 lines and fittings, and get this side of the equation dialed in before I start inside the motors.
TomZ (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was not seeing such drastic drops in pressure, maybe only on the hottest of days. If there was a drop, it was maybe 15 psi for a moment. It would come back up within a minute. My oil was always clean looking and when I had the short blocks apart, the bearings were good. I figured it was doing it’s job.

The new builds will have 3x18 (3x25 overall) thermostatic coolers. I picked up a set of HP 500 thermostatic filter heads, but with my coolers, I thought they’d be redundant. I decided to keep my oil pans but may consider a change. Packaging is a concern with my offshore mounts and all the plumbing for the transmissions etc.
Gimme Fuel (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
I was not seeing such drastic drops in pressure, maybe only on the hottest of days. If there was a drop, it was maybe 15 psi for a moment. It would come back up within a minute. My oil was always clean looking and when I had the short blocks apart, the bearings were good. I figured it was doing it’s job.

The new builds will have 3x18 (3x25 overall) thermostatic coolers. I picked up a set of HP 500 thermostatic filter heads, but with my coolers, I thought they’d be redundant. I decided to keep my oil pans but may consider a change. Packaging is a concern with my offshore mounts and all the plumbing for the transmissions etc.
Exactly same size of coolers I am putting on, just having thermostat in filter head versus on cooler. You will be just fine with the HP500 hardware, but yes totally redundant. Not sure if that will cause any issues for you though.
TomZ (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think in this case redundancy may cause some problems. I would think we would want part of the system controlling oil routing based on temperature. The cooler has it's own internal mechanism. Maybe it acting in a secondary manner isn't an issue? I can easily add the thermostatic heads to the configuration; I just don't want anything messed up.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Is it possible to run both thermostats? And if not, how do you disable the thermostats in the cooler?
Old 03-10-2021, 10:53 AM
Registered

I wouldn't personally run two primarily due to potential failures and or trapping oil if stats aren't sequenced perfectly. I was looking yesterday when I posted pics as to best way to route oil hoses etc with the thermo cooler I have. It started to make my brain hurt again. 😂 Not really... just never installed and plumbed them before. Now what will be interesting is I have two different size thermo coolers. One is a combo for the steering however has a larger engine oil capacity body as well. Will be interesting to see the two temps after long hard runs in cold lake MI waters. Cruising below 3,700 I wouldn't even expect them to open so temps should be very close.

Last edited by getrdunn; 03-10-2021 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Sp correction
The following 2 users liked this post by getrdunn:
Gimme Fuel (03-10-2021), TomZ (03-10-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.