Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Help boat got overheated , doesn’t run right .. >

Help boat got overheated , doesn’t run right ..

Notices

Help boat got overheated , doesn’t run right ..

Old 07-25-2021, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,212 Likes on 583 Posts

I lost a seapump belt in 2019. Pegged gauges, down a little on power. Idled and ran great when I winterized it so I did not believe there was an issue. Oil pressure was good also.
End result.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:25 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,131 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarhead
Yup. Tiny pump and horrible rigging for supplying fuel to it. Elect pump should be as low as you can go. Marine pump for insurance and less likely 🔥.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Yup. Tiny pump and horrible rigging for supplying fuel to it. Elect pump should be as low as you can go. Marine pump for insurance and less likely 🔥.
It's a 30 GPH pump free flow. That will not support a BBC.
The following users liked this post:
SB (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

my brother had a 5.0L overheat. oil came out like a milkshake after that, never ran right
Old 07-25-2021, 07:10 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,131 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
It's a 30 GPH pump free flow. That will not support a BBC.
I have one in the shop and trailer to transfer fuel from snowmobile tanks to the truck, when a super siphon won’t due. Also use it to bench set carb floats and fill fuel bowls on marine carbs i’ve just rebuilt or drained for whatever reason. Also used one to feed a stromberg on an mg so could.drive it in/out of shop while repairing 5 million things on that car. Lol. It is slow as ass and the tiny filter clogs fast, like really fast, because of it’s size.

I know the oump intametly. Same as the Mr Gasket oump and others that kook judt like it.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:18 PM
Registered

I actually use these pumps all the time. Have one on the engine run stand and also used one the other day as a lift pump for the zero turn John Deere when the crankcase/vacuum pump went out to feed the fuel injection.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarhead
well reconfigured pump to push more than pull . Now I have 0psi . Think pump already messed up . Bought a mechanical pump to put back in but my rod is stuck ….calling it a day
This is copied and pasted for the installation instructions on your fuel pump.

Determine the ideal mounting location for the fuel pump, a secure location like the frame is ideal.
The fuel pump must be mounted at or below the lowest point of the fuel tank.
The pump must also be within one foot of the fuel tank as it’s designed to push fuel from the tank towards the engine.
WARNING: Fuel pump failure will occur if not mounted within the required specification.

When dealing with boats, especially performance boats, NEVER think it should be good enough. Always go above and beyond.or it will bight you.

I have one of those generic little electric fuel pumps I use to drain my tank (I dont trust stabilizer, I drain the tank and put in fresh 93 when dewinterizing every spring, motors cost significantly more than a tank of gas) It wont work unless I put it right at the pickup and crank the bow up.

Last edited by phragle; 07-25-2021 at 07:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by phragle:
Griff (07-25-2021), SB (07-25-2021)