Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Mercruiser Mark iv oil temperature issue >

Mercruiser Mark iv oil temperature issue

Notices

Mercruiser Mark iv oil temperature issue

Old 06-20-2022, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely do it twice. I thought I had everything ready to rock before I put a load on the motors but it didn’t work out for me. Waste of time and money. To be fair, I was warned not to do it. I thought, they’ve lived all these years on flat tappet cams, why not? Well, I learned a hard lesson. I’ve had good luck in small blocks but never again in big blocks. I wish you the best of luck. I truly hope yours work out better than mine.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:33 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Check your oil lines I believe there is an arrow on top of the remote head. Or remove filter from head use remote starter switch click it for a couple seconds and see what hole oil comes out of.. I learned this the hard ways. Lines were reversed and would not send oil thru the filter so no cooling. If you have metal shavings it takes a lot of work to get them out of everywhere. I paid machine shop and they tanked them twice. Did you put a temp gun on oil filter?
Old 06-20-2022, 09:41 PM
Registered

I didn’t use a temp gun, just going off the gauge. My sensor is mounted on an outlet port of the remote mount on the block. Tore into it a little further tonight before I remove it from the boat. Lifters are smooth but the cam lobes look rounded off on 1 intake and 5 exhaust. I’d bet when I pull the cam there will be others as well.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:48 PM
Registered

Unfortunately, I’m better new bearings are going to be needed as well. I think I have settled on Lunati retro rollers for the next round. 226/236 114 LSA. It’s the closest I can find to a crane 731.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Many peeps over the years have routed their lines incorrectly from block to filter (especially with 502 moi for some reason - prob because do popular ? ) and back. Worthy to take a look.
I checked mine after your statement. I have a gen 4. Mine go from block to filter then to cooler near water inlet. as per Mercruiser's diagram on mercruiserparts.com. That always bothered me because the way a heat exchanger works is opposite flow. Water in oil out. Oil out water in. But would it really make a difference with such a small cooler. I deal with a lot of water cooled heat exchangers. in my business.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by JAbsher
They seem to go from block to cooler, cooler to filter, filter back to block.
I would think you would want it to run from the block to the filter then to the cooler just to filter the cooler before returning to the block. JMO My 509 gen 4 is plumbed like that.
#5 in inlet

Block to cooler first would not protect it from debris

Last edited by 35fountain; 06-21-2022 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:46 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by 35fountain
I checked mine after your statement. I have a gen 4. Mine go from block to filter then to cooler near water inlet. as per Mercruiser's diagram on mercruiserparts.com. That always bothered me because the way a heat exchanger works is opposite flow. Water in oil out. Oil out water in. But would it really make a difference with such a small cooler. I deal with a lot of water cooled heat exchangers. in my business.
Sorry, i meant putting the direction of oil flow in wrong way to/from filter.

As far as oil cooler, if i remember correctly, some say 10-15* oil temp cooler if oil tuns reverse direction of water. Been a long time since those discussions, i guess we should do a search.

Speaking of filters, when they are hanging down, I use Napa 1061/Wix51061 and 1069/ 51069 (a little shorter than 1061’s) as they don’t have relief valves.

Last edited by SB; 06-21-2022 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:48 AM
Registered

I agree. It does make sense to filter the hot oil and then send it to the cooler. Mine go through the cooler first then filter before returning to the block. They were rigged that way when I bought it. I think I’ll reroute my lines to your diagram when I reassemble them.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SB
Sorry, i meant putting the direction of oil flow in wrong way to/from filter.

As far as oil cooler, if i remember correctly, some say 10-15* oil temp cooler if oil tuns reverse direction of water. Been a long time since those discussions, i guess we should do a search.
I remember this thread awhile back. I may switch my oil flow direction at my cooler
Old 06-21-2022, 06:53 AM
Registered

I’ve also decided to get rid of the bypass block adapter and go back with a thermostatic remote setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.