What engine is this? >

What engine is this?

Notices

What engine is this?

Old 07-09-2022, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
I had to dig into this last year when I was ordering replacement fuel lines.
There are different ratings depending on where in the boat they are installed.
Type A1 is the type you're supposed to be using in the eng compartment. There's a lot of professional boat mechanics that don't know this and a lot more shade tree mechs that don't.

Fuel line and fittings

I know there are tons of boats out there running around with automotive fuel lines and they haven't burst into flame yet, but if you want it done by the book, you'll need some A1 rated fuel hose in the bilge.

BTW, If the insurance company investigator knows his $hit, he'll be looking for that when he arrives to examine your burnt boat claim. The liability isn't something I personally want to risk but to each his own.
I don't disagree with what your are saying. The plastic fuel filter is the biggest issue. I cannot tell from the pictures what his fuel line ratings are. Rubber fuel lines as a blanket no is not correct. Marine rated rubber fuel lines should be used. Merc uses some rubber lines, some stainless and some covered lines.
The following users liked this post:
Helmwurst (07-10-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Did a little digging and I did find some Q-jets w/o a J-tube. There are some marine Q-jets that use a vent tube with an angle cut and a "well" at the base of the tube to route spill into the throat of the carb. Still not 100% sure if that means all Q-jets with J-tubes are rebuilt or if Rochester installed them at some point. Either way, good catch!

BTW, automotive carb vent tubes are cut straight across.

Marine Q-jet with angle cut on vent tube.

Another thread I found where someone tested the vent by removing the float and applied 7-8 psi of fuel press.

J tubes in carbs

The following users liked this post:
Helmwurst (07-10-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Trash
I don't disagree with what your are saying. The plastic fuel filter is the biggest issue. I cannot tell from the pictures what his fuel line ratings are. Rubber fuel lines as a blanket no is not correct. Marine rated rubber fuel lines should be used. Merc uses some rubber lines, some stainless and some covered lines.
Yeah, I can't read the hoses either but they don't look like A1 hoses. A1 hoses are beefy. Doubt someone would go to the trouble to install the correct hose then install a plastic filter.

To be honest, the install looks like something I would have done when I was younger. Just doing whatever it takes to get out on the water cutting corners along the way.
Glad to see the plastic filter has been removed. Still curious if the carb is the marine type or not.