496HO Down on power >

496HO Down on power

Notices

496HO Down on power

Old 07-13-2022, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

In my experience with prochargers, your belt being worn on one side would make me think you were either losing a idler bearing in a idler on the tenssioner is getting worn and ;'cocked", which either one can rub its respective pulley on a angle on belt and wear outside unevenly. If you grab the tensioner with belt off and try to pull it in and out, if it has slop, its worn. Another thing I learned is anytime a seprentine blower belt slips under boost it leaves belt dust AND pulley shoots over 200 degrees, hot enough where you cant touch it without getting burned!
Old 07-14-2022, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 795 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
In my experience with prochargers, your belt being worn on one side would make me think you were either losing a idler bearing in a idler on the tenssioner is getting worn and ;'cocked", which either one can rub its respective pulley on a angle on belt and wear outside unevenly. If you grab the tensioner with belt off and try to pull it in and out, if it has slop, its worn. Another thing I learned is anytime a seprentine blower belt slips under boost it leaves belt dust AND pulley shoots over 200 degrees, hot enough where you cant touch it without getting burned!
Arctic,

I checked the tensioner and pulley. There was no more end play or axial/radial runout to the pulley than the new one I had on hand. It spun smooth and free with no wobble to speak of. I was not up for the swap, given the extremely limited space there is to work with, so I skipped it. I'm betting there was something rubbing on it at one point in time prior to our owning the boat. There are a number of hoses and wire bundles in the general area that could have been the culprit.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 07-14-2022, 07:00 AM
Registered

Guys,

Having the new belt on, it's time to move on to the rest of the effort. My thinking is to go ahead and replace the plugs as I do the compression test. I'm thinking the plugs are going to be fouled beyond burning them off. This would enable a clean slate to check burn pattern on the plugs. Sound logic?

Also.... I'm assuming the engine should be warmed up before doing the compression test.....?

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 07-14-2022, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

You can do a comp test on a cold engine. Numbers might be marginally less than when warm, but you're looking for cyl-to-cyl variation rather than being concerned with absolute numbers. So it's fine either way.

Leakdown is another story.
The following users liked this post:
Unlimited jd (07-15-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 11:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Just pull the kill switch lanyard and turn the key. Most kill switch lanyards don't cut power to the starter
Griff,

Dang. That made THAT easy.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
The following users liked this post:
Griff (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 04:57 PM
Registered

Guys,

Compression test complete.

L R
1 - 137 2 - 140
3 - 140 4 - 149
5 - 138 6 - 148
7 - 140 8 - 150

These are all guestimates, as the gage was an analog unit, with 5lb graduations on the dial, and I was trying to split hairs, reading between the lines. From memory, these seem like similar numbers to what I've seen others post here on OSO, but I really don't know if these are good numbers or not. I tried cranking the engine as consistently as I could. I had no way of watching the gage to see if peak was established or not, so I ran each cylinder twice, releasing pressure each time, before moving on to the next. I did notice that the right bank seemed consistently and, on average, higher than the left, so I went back and re checked two of them, just to rule out whether I was a factor, as I started on the left bank, and I might have gotten more confident in tightening the gage in the plug hole and cranking the engine longer. I was no real difference the second time around. This is my first time actually doing this sort of thing myself.

Thoughts?

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 07-14-2022, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Assuming those are accurate, you have less than 10% variation across the board. I'd say those are perfectly acceptable numbers, as far as consistency among the 8.
Old 07-14-2022, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Guys,

Compression test complete.

L R
1 - 137 2 - 140
3 - 140 4 - 149
5 - 138 6 - 148
7 - 140 8 - 150

These are all guestimates, as the gage was an analog unit, with 5lb graduations on the dial, and I was trying to split hairs, reading between the lines. From memory, these seem like similar numbers to what I've seen others post here on OSO, but I really don't know if these are good numbers or not. I tried cranking the engine as consistently as I could. I had no way of watching the gage to see if peak was established or not, so I ran each cylinder twice, releasing pressure each time, before moving on to the next. I did notice that the right bank seemed consistently and, on average, higher than the left, so I went back and re checked two of them, just to rule out whether I was a factor, as I started on the left bank, and I might have gotten more confident in tightening the gage in the plug hole and cranking the engine longer. I was no real difference the second time around. This is my first time actually doing this sort of thing myself.

Thoughts?

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Did you have the throttle open while doing the test?
I’m not that far away from you. Just outside Camden Oh. is where we live. You probably go through here if you go to Brookville any.

Last edited by Rosie240; 07-14-2022 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2022, 05:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rosie240
Did you have the throttle open while doing the test?
Rosie,

Nope. Didn’t realize I should have. If somebody mentioned it, I’d forgotten. 😕

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 07-14-2022, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Rosie,

Nope. Didn’t realize I should have. If somebody mentioned it, I’d forgotten. 😕

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
That’s why I asked. I didn’t see it mentioned and you stated that was your first time doing that.
The throttle blade will restrict airflow into the engine. You’ll likely see higher numbers with the throttle open.

How’d the plugs look? If the ignition side of things is getting weak you could be blowing the spark out under boost. I’d think you’re down on boost because you say you aren’t getting the rpm you did before.
Stay on the tighter side of the plug gap when you gap the new plugs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.