Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
turbo systems for bb-chevy >

turbo systems for bb-chevy

Notices

turbo systems for bb-chevy

Old 11-27-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can help selling Jap stuff too.... Get stuff for civics and integras.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:10 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Heat

Turbo's put off a considerable amount of heat. Even if the turbo is shielded it is going to give off a lot of heat. I believe in most states Turbos are Illegal in boats because of this. We had a lot of problems with the coastguard with our Turbos.

Secondly is that when you are running hard and miss the throttles you better hope that you're hands are quick. Believe me, those puppies spool up quick. It better have a rather large blow off valve, to elleviate the boost pressure behind the throttle plate. I also believe that a blow off valve is illegal in an encosed engine compartment.

Third, you have to give the motor a cool down period. You will ruin the turbo's if you shut the motor down without doing a cool down.

I am only speaking from experience, not trying to say it's a bad idea. You can make a lot of horsepower with a turbo. We were making about 600 hp with a low compression 454.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Turbo technology has progressed a great deal in the last few years. I'm running a twin turbo bbc and making over 1300hp. Been Coast Guard inspected on a couple different occasions with no problems. With modern technology blow off valves are not needed. I am controlling boost with my engine management computer. Hope this answers some questions.

Bill
Old 11-27-2002, 04:20 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default boost

Hey Check,

Just curious, how does the engine management system control the boost pressure when you suddenly pull off the throttles? How does it get rid of the back pressure behind the throttle plate in a carbureted setup? Is there a brake on the turbo or something? Cause that thing is free wheeling.

I know a lot of the centrifical blower setup's don't have blow off valves either. It has been I while since I fooled around with turbos. I wonder why the APBA made turbos Illegal?

I also hear you can make up to 1300hp with twin turbos on a Small Block Chevy.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

My set up is with EFI and we do use waste gates which are controlled by the computer. Have no idea why APBA outlawed turbos.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:00 PM
mike doucet

I have a twin turbo setup for a bb chevy.I dont think I will use it wife says fast enough contact me for details Thanks Mike

Old 11-28-2002, 07:38 PM
mike doucet

I have a twin turbo setup for a bb chevy.I dont think I will use it wife says fast enough contact me for details Thanks Mike