Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What Manley valve is this? >

What Manley valve is this?

Notices

What Manley valve is this?

Old 12-30-2002, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the heads came off and ratteled around; Major shrapnel throughout; Not pretty! The first time I was told that it was a one in a million fluke; the defective part that "never happens" but when it did it again midway thru the next season, crusing at a relatively moderate 4 to 4200 rpm just like the first time, I just knew that my luck couldn't be that bad and embarked on a serious quest for knowledge. I would never dispute Jim V but it was my understanding that the extra wear that inconel causes to seats isn't really a factor till you get into extreme spring pressures and rpm's. Also, Ferria makes a "superalloy" ex. valve (which I think is inconel by another name) with a terriffic record for durability and a better shape for flow than the Manley. Later! --- Jer
Old 12-30-2002, 08:50 AM
Registered

Well, you last two guys answered while I was writing and said it better. Sorry for the Ferrea misspell and thanks for the magnet tip! --- Jer
Old 12-30-2002, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a note. I spoke to a Manley rep at the PRI show in Indy a couple of weeks ago and he said the blower exhaust valve material of choice these days is not inconel, but their new extremealloy. I guess inconel is obsolete or something!! Sometimes I think HP parts are worse than computers. I am really in the dark ages since I am using wimpy stainless severe duty valves on both my intakes and exhausts. I have never had a valve failure so I guess its a good enough material for my type of boating! Not much help, but I thought some would be interested.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:57 AM
Registered

Blown1500, I build my own thank you and bought these heads from a reputable builder (from this site). On inspection this year, I find 2 intake valves slighly tuliped and they are not Manleys like the others are. Manley is closed till the first and thats why I was looking for some info so I could get these 2 valves replaced and back together. Do you know the Manley codes on the valves?? B-LB??
Old 12-30-2002, 09:09 AM
blown1500

Formula 31,
If you are good enough to build your own, I congratulate you and you have my respect
You should be able to get info from some of the supply houses, such as Summit or maybe Doug Herbert in NC.
I have a Manley catalogue and if you would like, call me at
704-574-4020 and I'll gladely help all I can

Old 12-30-2002, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a photo of a manley inconnel on the left and a super alloy Ferrea on the right. The Ferrea valve flows four to six percent more air at any given lift.
Attached Thumbnails What Manley valve is this?-valves.jpg