Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Anti-freeze leaking from 496

Ttt
Old 07-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had seals changed and still losing antifreeze...However ,it must be going out with the lake water cause I don`t see any under engine...Have to top off resovoir everytime I go out. Any ideas?
tnx
Old 07-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Registered

I had 2001 496HO that leaked antifreeze during winter layup. Bought a 2004 29 outlaw with twin 496mags. No problem with leaking during the three winter months while it was layed up. But 3 weeks ago i was crusing along and my driver side engine sensor went off I shut down with about 190 degrees on the gauge opened the hatch and the seal under the heat exchange had exploded, coolant every where. Limped in on one motor and Merc took care of it under warrenty. These seals can also fail while underway as I found out be aware! Merc is aware of this problem. Cya
Old 07-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Registered

That sounds messy... I refilled mine at commissioning and it has held level. I peek at it now and then tho to be sure
Old 07-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Registered

Question Re: Anti-freeze leaking from 496

Same Problem...my 2001 with 496HO Mags leaked from one side just a little bit winter of 02. Empty when looked at first time in summer of 04
I just had it brought down from another state (had Mercury recall work done on some sort of hard water fitting) and had dealer winterize in 03.
Open hatch and see no coolant on star board side. Perfect on the other.
I call service manager who is very helpful and knowledgeable about problem.
He explains basically what you all have said. Goes on to say that they will usually "snap back" into form fit and seal leak when temp out side returns to "warm". Says Mercury did not issue a recall or service bullentine for this. Is this 100% accurate? He talked with Mercury and they know about these leaking. Hope they re-design and offer up new ones. I think they will see that they have a big failure rate on these.
I went out this evening and looked at my problem seal. My bad seal is not going to snap back into anything close to make a water tight seal! I had my daughter tell me where it was leaking after I leaned over and blew into tank with coolant cap off. Repeated other side and tight, no leaks. Very little pressure can create a real big problem with these seals when coolant is invloved! Mine are leaking around 1/2 of the circumferance around area where it mates up with the crossover seat. It looks like they seal really didnt stay tight this past winter, if this is what the problem is. My boat is real low hours boat so a little concerned they failed so badly with little hours . This bad seal almost look like it was "stretched" out of round.
HELP QUESTIONS:

1. Do any (of yours) have what appears to be "grease" applied around seals? I have where they mate up with seat of heat exchanger and/or crossover
I dont recall seeing this when new. Both sides, and liberally applied.
Would dealer apply this for winterizing trying to keep them "supple" through winter perhaps if dealers were aware of this problem in advance?

2. What about running a bead of high temp silicone or high temp gasket maker/silicone around seal and allowing to set up? Anyone tried this or what your opinion about it working? If they do have to be replaced than the silicone can be removed from surface anyway. It may be hard to reach the back side, but may could take them off enough to run a light bead around.
Other post says they can come off fairly easily.
I would consider doing the other side to prevent it from leaking.

3. Anyone have the part number (handy) for these heat exchanger/crossover seals and/or ordered new ones that appear to be better quality or different? Part numbers appreciated/ and a stocking source.
Thanks for help!

Last edited by JHarper; 07-14-2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Registered

Putting silicone around the seal probably will not work . The seals are easy to replace so it is probably better to put new seals in .
Old 07-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bcolmsted
I had seals changed and still losing antifreeze...However ,it must be going out with the lake water cause I don`t see any under engine...Have to top off resovoir everytime I go out. Any ideas?
tnx
Dealer found crack in Heat Exchanger..which resulted in Antifreeze going out and lake water coming in..
Old 10-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Registered

Just wanted to bring this thread up again. Its my first year with a 496 and almost **** when I saw drops of antifreeze in the bilge after a below freezing night. I noticed it early in the spring on a cold morning. Once it warmed up it didn't leak a drop all summer, early fall. It has started dribling at night with the cold weather again. I'm glad to see its not out of the ordinary.
My question is has there been an update to the seals or is pn 28-865066 the same as what would have come in an 03'? Theres nothing wrong with the seals that are in it other than they shrink when cold and leak, but I would replace them if I know for sure the new ones won't leak. Any one been down this road?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Registered

yup..I've replace the originals with the updated heat exchanger seals on port. starboard has never leaked!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rippem
yup..I've replace the originals with the updated heat exchanger seals on port. starboard has never leaked!
So does the port still leak with the updated seals?

Quick Reply: Anti-freeze leaking from 496

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.