Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Jetting/tuning For Procharger setup >

Jetting/tuning For Procharger setup

Notices

Jetting/tuning For Procharger setup

Old 04-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Hardcore

BTW - Sleeker, what kind of boat do you have and what blower system are you using? Also, what's your boost like? I have a 7.75 " crank pulley and a 5" blower pulley on my M3 w/ AW-504 I/C. Anybody want to guess what kind of boost that would produce on my Teague 509?

Old 04-19-2004, 05:31 PM
krypto 1 in CT

HEY HARDCORE.sleeker here with a new /different name.i have a 29 foot kryptonite,well really its a 27 with a 2 foot built in swin platform.it has a.030 over hp 500 with a procharger m1sc with the 12 rib belt.its all over kryptonites web site check out kryptoniteboats.com go to sport model and click on the 29 model the all yellow one is actually my boat lots of pics and also its in the owners gallery its right at the top of the page there are some motor shots with the pro charger.

Old 04-20-2004, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hardcore,
it will depend a lot on your heads, cam, exhaust etc....
For reference only; My M3/504IC 540c.i. with ported Canfields, CMIs, 741 cam and 8.5:1 makes 5 lbs at 5500rpm. This is with the 7.65 (the only big block pulley they make according to them) and a 4.5 pulley.
Too many variables unless your stock. My guess is you'll probably see about the same 5 lbs with your setup.
Dave
Old 04-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Hardcore

Thanks guys. I think the driven pulley I have (5"? - I measured 5-1/6" to outside of lip) is supposed to be a 7lb. pulley for the stock M3 MPI setup so I agree that I should see around 5lbs. on my motor.
My motor has Merlin 345cc Rect. heads w/2.30int. valves and the cam specs are like 226 deg. intake/ 230 exh. duration w/ .587" int. and .610" exh. and 114 deg. lobe separation.Also, I have Lightning headers (wet T/pipes).
Just out of interest, what kind of MPH gains have you guys seen w/ a single engine M-3 setup on boats of say 25 - 30 feet long?
BTW: Yesterday I called Procharger and they recommended I buy a 69" 8-rib (since the belt w/ my kit was a 68") just to check the size. I ccouldn't find one so I bought two Gates Micro - v 69" 6-rib sepentine belts from a local auto parts store and they fit perfectly side by side on my pulleys. I had to adjust the tensioner to maximum though because one was just very slightly longer than the next. So, no room for re-tightening. Does anybody know whether you can get like a 68 - 1/2 " 12 - rib belt?
I cranked her up and all I can say is this is a NASTY- sounding SOB! I'm going to try running it on the weekend.
Also, I noticed that the carb now has a flat spot just off idle. I checked it out and the Primary Acc. pump cam has a slow starting ramp. My guess is that w/ added boost at idle it now needs a richer shot sooner to cover the off idle transition (because of the extra air rushing past the primary throttle plate when you crack it open). So, the fix - I think- is a steeper accel. pump cam (I have tons of 'em). I'll probably play with the Squirters too. I have the # 35 that came in the carb now so I'll probably go to a # 37. Failing that, I'll put a 50cc ("reo") Accel Pump on the front bowl. I'll keep you posted on how the carb tuning works out...

Old 04-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice idea on the twin 8 ribs....

I gained approximately 12 mph on my 28/5000lb boat with the addition of the SC.

Nasty sounding is right When we first fired it up I ran in and called Procharger and told them I thought it was broke
Throw the rpms to her and she'll sing pretty for you though

I use a 67" with my 4.5. I have to pull the pulley off and slide it back on with the belt around it to get it to fit.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:54 PM
krypto 1 in CT

HARDCORE,that belt is going to loosen up as it breaks in.with no tesioner left you might throw it or it will sqweel.id try the the pully removal deal with the shorter belt.are you runnig any kind of water restrictor to get some temp in the engine.sean

Old 04-21-2004, 09:57 AM
Hardcore

Thanks Krypto 1. I was thinking the same thing. I already tried the take off pulley deal with the tensioner all the way slack (I actually had someone pull out on the tensioner so the belt was straight) and the 68" 12 Rib belt wouldn't allow me to get the pulleback on the snout. It's just like a 1/4 " away. I even tried ridng it unto the main pulley (which has a shorter "lip on the edge) and f@cked up a couple of the ribs on the belt so I don't want top use it again anyway. Does anybody know whether you can get like a 68 - 1/2 " belt (12- Rib)??
BTW: I'm not running any sort of water restrictor but by motor was running like 120-140 degrees under hard use (1+ mile W.O.T. runs) before I installed the blower. Do you think thats enough temp? I'm not using the ATI thermostat housing either but a Teague S/S w/ 3/4" nipples to the headers.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:24 PM
krypto 1 in CT

that temp seems good.im having trouble getting any water temp.oil is only getting to 150. the water here in ct is only about 43 right now.the only other thing i can think of for the belt is get a new 68 and unbolt the tensioner put the belt on and try to get the tensioner back on.not sure if they make belts in 1/2 inch incraments.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Hardcore

OK that explains it, The only how water gets to 43 degrees down here(Cayman Islands) is in the fridge! More like 83 average all year round. Yep, sucks don't it!
That's a good idea with the idler pulley though.
The belt issue might resolve itself if I have to go to a smaller pulley - which I suspect I will have to. I'll try her this weekend with the "duallie-six-rib" setup and depending on what boost it makes I'll know what I need to order from Procharger.
BTW: You can't get pulleys from anybody else but Procharger and you can't even talk to them unless you give them your blower's serial number!

Old 04-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Hardcore

I ran the boat this weekend with the Procharger setup and what a difference! The boat feels like it's about 1000lbs lighter!
I didn't get to hold it WOT for long because I'm still playing with the jetting and timing, but a quick blast from about 2/3 throttle (80mph or so @ <1lb boost) netted 99MPH @ 5lbs of boost. I think I probably touched the rev limiter because I seem to be getting a lot of slip with my 27" repitched to 29" Accelerator prop. (I have 1.34 gearing). I just can't get enough of the boat out of the water with this prop (although in fairness, I was running with another person in the boat (my old archrival Cayformula!) with a full tank of gas (45 gals).
Anyways, judging by what I felt, it should run between 105 - 110 when I get it dialed. Right now the jetting (#90 jets) all around looks good but I think I retarded the timing too much. I just kinda guestimated - 30 deg. because my balancer doesn't have any markings except 0 - 15 and 34 deg. It might be more like 28degs though.
It "deisels" when I shut it down hot as well, even when I shut it down in gear at about 750 RPM.
Anybody want to say what kind of max. advance they run?
Also, I found that I had left a plug out of the carb box but it was a small one (like 1/4") so I don't think it bled off too much boost.
I did notice that it was kind of "lugging" @WOT when it was warm - like 160 deg. water temp. Almost it was hitting the limiter at 5600 or so but my chip (MSD) is @ 6000RPM.
I re-tightened the belt and it still felt funny. Almost like it was leaning out but the plugs look slightly on the rich side if anything (and thats how Procharger says they like it)
It's like the motor runs fine once its cool but when it warms up it acts funny. I have good fuel pressure (15lbs @ 5lbs boost) so I don't know what gives. I'm going step the jetting up a couple of sizes and also degree the balancer and play with the timing. It looks like the old boat might actually be an animal in the making.
Now for a 7lb. pulley and a 32" B-1 prop!
BTW: I got the P/charger belt on (barely!!) by following Kryto 1's advice. Thanks buddy. One of them "why didn't I think of that" deals.
To be continued...

Quick Reply: Jetting/tuning For Procharger setup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.