Problem with IMCO dual ram steering >

Problem with IMCO dual ram steering

Notices

Problem with IMCO dual ram steering

Old 04-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problem with IMCO dual ram steering

I just bought a single engine boat with an IMCO dual ram steering system, hydraulic to the helm. I'm getting no power assist at all. Feels the same, running or not. I called Dino at Teague and Ron at IMCO, and though they were helpful (I already drilled the orifice, cleaned the filter), were stumped... This morning I replaced the power steering pump, and still no assist. There's no air in the system, Ron told me how to detect this. I checked the hoses against the schematic, and it seems to be plumbed right. The previous owner just got used to it, but both Dino and Ron told me the steering should be "one-finger easy". It's DEFINITELY not. More like TWO -FISTED! Makes docking difficult to say the least! Any ideas? Something I've missed?
Old 04-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've probally checked this, but I once had a similar problem. The hoses were reversed on one side (rams were fighting each other). Good luck!
Old 04-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I HAVE THE SAME SETUP.STEERING IS DEFFINATLY NOT ONE FINGER STEERING.BUT I ALSO DONT NEED BOTH HANDS.WHEN THE BELT FLEW OFF LAST YEAR AT 85 I KNEW IT.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have WPM steering and it was hard. Check to see if there is any binding in the helm shaft. Also check to see which model helm you have. That makes a big diff.. or do a lock to lock test.. 2 to 3 turns, end to end.. if it is less than that you may have the wrong helm.
You dont have a kinked or colapsed hose? Does the drive move back and forth freely? You could have binding that you are trying to over come. If it is the same effort, with and with out motor running then look at psi in system. This is high pressure so be careful. I made up a tee and added to my high psi side with a gauge to see what was happing.
Well I have exhausted my brain.. good luck!!

Dick
PS any ??? email or pm me.. be glad to help. I know I was there once.. and yes my buddies Imco system is truly one finger!!