Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Dual Ram Imco hyd. Steering ..... air in System ? >

Dual Ram Imco hyd. Steering ..... air in System ?

Notices

Dual Ram Imco hyd. Steering ..... air in System ?

Old 06-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Ram Imco hyd. Steering ..... air in System ?

Hello all , when i remove the motor last fall , i disconect the power steering pump (maybe its where i insert air in system), and now the last two time i use the boat i always have mess in the bilge of hydrolique oil , the reservoir over spill by the cap , what i made so far is with the drive on and motor not running , grab steering wheel and turn until it begin to be hard to turn , but no luck , today i remove the drive and redone the steering wheel ...do you think i will finally stop my mess in the bilge ....sorry the search feature not working for ...this is why i ask ....sorry for my bad english ...if you don`t understand feel free to ask
Regards
Christian
Old 06-13-2008, 05:15 PM
VIP Member

Sounds like the resevoir might be overfilled ?? Make sure to check the level on the dipstick. It should be only about 1/2 full in the can.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
Sounds like the resevoir might be overfilled ?? Make sure to check the level on the dipstick. It should be only about 1/2 full in the can.
No its not overfill , i don`t know why , but after some rest time the reservoir catch too much oil ? , thanks for your help
Christian
Old 06-14-2008, 02:10 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible that the two hoses to the pump got reversed when they were refitted? Although, normally the return hose is a smaller diameter and is only a push fit.

The system shouldnīt be able to swallow more air (and therefore displace more oil). The air bubbles normally leaves the sytem when they pass through the reservoir.

To bleed the steering system, when refilling you should run the motor at idle and slowly rotate the steering wheel from full lock to full lock maybe 5 - 10 times. Avoid overfilling the resevoir (leave space form decompressing air bubbles to expand the volume of oil), but top it up as it starts to drop.

Hope this is a help to you.

Why did you have your 525 out?
Old 06-14-2008, 02:14 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I just reread your first post. If you rotate the wheel (which should be difficult to do when the motor isnīt running, as you posted) you will be compressing any air bubbles that are in the steering circuit, and because the pump circuit isnīt running (with the motor) the bubbles will stay in the system. Bleed the system WITH the motor running, and you should be fine!
Old 06-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09
Now I just reread your first post. If you rotate the wheel (which should be difficult to do when the motor isnīt running, as you posted) you will be compressing any air bubbles that are in the steering circuit, and because the pump circuit isnīt running (with the motor) the bubbles will stay in the system. Bleed the system WITH the motor running, and you should be fine!
Thanks Stephen , i will try that tomorow morning ...i am at work right now ....and i will keep you posted
Thanks again to have take time
Christian