power steering seems weak?? >

power steering seems weak??

Notices

power steering seems weak??

Old 06-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering seems weak??

I just put in a 2002 350 Mag Mpi, and I had a standard 260hp 350 before. It seems like my power steering seems like it is harder to turn even when at an idle. In fact at full speeds, it's kind of nice not having it turn too fast. The accessories came with the motor I just put in. Am I just not remembering how the power steering feels or what. The pump fluid is not low. Is there anything else to check? No noise either. 1995 VIP Victory 2102. Alpha outdrive.

thanks,
Justin
Old 06-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Danny_Ocean

Default Re: power steering seems weak??

Turn "harder"? Is the steering smooth or does it feel like it's binding? Assuming everything is installed properly, I'm guessing more torque and a bigger prop would make the steering feel "heavier", not "harder". Also, different pulley sizes will affect the output of the pump. Does the new pump have a different pulley than the old?

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Old 06-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: power steering seems weak??

This pulley is the one that came with the motor. I don't know if it is different than the one I had. It almost feels as if it is binding a bit, or maybe fighting against me, mainly at idle or slow (loading) speeds. It feels fine at cruising speeds. same prop and the torque wouldn't be an issue at idle.