Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need Advice On Fuel Pump Install >

Need Advice On Fuel Pump Install

Notices

Need Advice On Fuel Pump Install

Old 08-23-2004, 04:30 PM
f252tbird

Question Need Advice On Fuel Pump Install

I'm Wanting To Run A Electric Pump In Line With My Mechanical Pump. I Know Electrics Like To Push Fuel And Mechanicals Like To Pull It. My Question Is, Are There Any Limitations I Need To Know About When Setting Up My Line Routing? Also, Are There Any Certain Specifications I Need To Be Sure And Incorporate In My System? Thanks In Advance For The Info.

Old 08-23-2004, 04:52 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need Advice On Fuel Pump Install

You need to use coast guard approved fuel line. Unfortinatly, this forces you to use hose clamps. I don't know if you need to wire the pump through a oil pressure switch. Some people like to do that. For your installation, I'd just wire the pump through a relay, and have the relay powered by the ignition switch. Any the switch is hot the pump will be running. If you pull the kill lanyard, then the pump will stop. Install a 10amp fuse for the pump. Use 14g wire for the portion that passes from the battery, through the relay, to the pump, to ground. 18g is heavy enough to control the relay. You may want to consider adding a return line. This will reduce the load on the pump and make it last much longer. Some pumps have a internal bypass. This helps, but a return line is much more effective.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Registered

painless wirring makes a good eletric fuel pump wirring kit and you must put a oil psi switch to turn the pump on . areoquip make a uscg aprove hose that has pushlock fittings ( no hose clamps needed) that you can get at the local hydraulic hose store around you,putthe elec. pump after the mech. pump
Old 08-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Registered

An odd thing happened to me once. I bought a boat that had previous motors that used electric fuel pumps. The pumps were left inline and wired , mounted on the forward engine room bulkhead but I did not use them on the Gen 4 454's I had. One day I lost power on a motor and after a little searching found the carb dry. Bad fuel pump. Usually that's a stopper for sure. I started the electric pump up and away I went. If you ever run out of fuel, the electric pump will get fuel back to the carb without the motor running too.
I guess I was just lucky that day.I guess it doesn't hurt to run an electric in front of a mechanical.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:05 AM
Registered

Use an oil pressure switch (hobbs switch) with the closed terminal to the starter, so it will pump while cranking. Wire the open terminal to an ignition switched relay. Or with the hobbs switch, I've wired directly to the harness through a fuse. One less relay to worry about.
Mount the pump as low as possible and as close to the tank as possible. Most electric pump failures I've seen were due to mounting too high, too far away.
Gary
Old 08-25-2004, 12:29 AM
Registered

f252tbird,
If you were asking about the plumbing of the fuel lines, on the outlet side of the mech. pump, you put a "t" fitting. Attach the electric pump fuel line to one side of the "t" and the fuel line that attaches to the other side of the "t" should go to a fuel regulator and then to the carb.
Robert