Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Removing tab stops,Dangerous???? >

Removing tab stops,Dangerous????

Notices

Removing tab stops,Dangerous????

Old 03-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Removing tab stops,Dangerous????

I wish I had something to say about tabs but I don't. However I could not resist the steering debate! My partial hyd steering system decided to fart and kick the belt to the power steering pump off..... at 60mph..... all hands to the starboard side of the boat!...now!! It was a surprise but we all survived unscathed.

If you cant spend the money for the upgrade now; hedge your bet and put a steering stabilizer on for $800. It will at least keep everyone in their seats if a mishap occurs.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:56 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cooltoys61
70?
That's what the Hyd salesmen say.
OK,,I'l sacrifice myself and let yoos guys know. If I die, all you guys get Hyd sytms and tell all your buddies about the silly dude who would not pay the extra 7K to run 80. All jokes aside, I think if your drives are tight and you don't have to hunt for the straight line it's Ok. BUT THE QUESTION IS ABOUT THE TABS? THE TABS, DO THEY SLOW YOU OR GIVE YOU MORE SURFACE TO RUN ON?????????????????????????????????????????

everything may feel fine, but one day it won't, and it won't be gradual..... as for your tabs, in theory you will be faster with less in the water.....

i find it amusing that you think this is a joke... please do not boat near me w/o hyd steering at 80 MPH..... thank you...
Old 03-04-2005, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Not to enter anything else into this debate, but I went a season with my tab pumps not working. This really hindered me to use my boat in any water over 3'. I was never able to get the attitude of the boat level and I would get the crap beat out of me. Now with the tabs properly working I enjoy going out in bigger water.

Cooltoys, can't you just pull the pins and slide the tabs out? or are you concerned with where it is permanently mounted to the boat?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

keep the tabs(training wheels)
Old 03-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Registered

Jeez! No I don't think it's a joke but as I said in my first post this is about the tabs! I know from previous posts that everyone will want to discuss instant death with no full hydr system. I also have no intension to remove my tabs but only to increase the travel by removing or cutting down the tab "stops". I appreciate your concern but my time above 70 is all of 2-3 mins. per year and my boat won't be worth much more when I sell it. I'll most likely look for it on the next boat if I trade up.
Same reasoning would apply to the steering though, "Reggie" must not have thought a 75 MPH boat needed it or he would have put it on when built.
SEAN H , I don't plan on boating near you, I'll be in front of you. You don't seem like a whole lot of fun. We all take calculated risks that could rationally be argued against. Do you where a helmet in your car? The race drivers do and you would be more safe than without it. Do you drive over 70 in your car?What if you had a blowout in a turn?Would you ever drive an old classic convertable with no airbags? Do you ever drive in heavy traffic or at night? Increasing your odds again.Oh yeah, you do wear your PFD when your vessel is underway right?? No? Shame on you.Water safety is no joke. But it's safe to joke here, right?
Old 03-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Registered

Wow Sean, I had you all wrong 110mph! You really are a risk taker.