Bizarre Shift cable malfunction >

Bizarre Shift cable malfunction

Notices

Bizarre Shift cable malfunction

Old 03-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizarre Shift cable malfunction

Anyone have this happen to their Bravo 3? Last weekend I was docking in shallow water when I heard a nasty whump from the stern. The starboard drive was stuck in reverse, the shifter suddently got real smooth. I killed the engine and docked on the port engine. Opened the hatch and found the shift cable was ripped off and wrapped around the U-joint and drive shaft about 3 times, breaking the connection on the manifold and severing the shift cable just ahead of where it enters the drive. The power steering hoses were cut and a very slight drip started in the bilge (possible bellows leak). I decided I'd try to get home (4 miles no wake zones) on one engine.

Nursing it home on 1 without power steering I cracked a gear on the steering head and lost all steering in the busiest turn on the intracoastal off solar isle by Los Olas. Thanks to Towboat US and a supply of beer in the fridge, and Buffett on CD, I made it home in good spirits. For the first time in her life, my wife was there to help me dock. Right- with my digital camera in hand. Of course this is also the one weekend every neighbor is throwing a party on their patio. End of story, boat is safely on lift awaiting steering head and mechanic to show.

I'm thinking this was improper routing of the shift cable and the mechanic that installed the engine is at fault.

Anyone ever have a similar experience or have any thoughts on this?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bizarre Shift cable malfunction

that was most likely cuased by poor routing of the shift cable it can be tricky to replace with the engine in but is one of those things that needs to be done right
Old 03-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Registered

M Keller,

This goes back a few years but...
I had one of the first Bravo III's out back in late '92. Actually, the boat was delivered in December, '92 and I didn't get props until April, '93. When the props came, they were "experimental" with no Merc markings. Neither here nor there, but they eventually also sent me a new set when they got through the legal hassles with Volvo-Penta they had to endure at that time.

Anyway, I had an ongoing problem with the Bravo III seizing in gear. The cone clutch would actually weld itself together and would have to be removed from the drive and pressed apart. This happened a total of six times in the first two years of ownership. The drive was completely replaced twice and it would still happen. I had complained about stiff shifting since day one.

Eventually (after pulling the engine), I discovered that the shift cable was rubbing on the driveshaft and had worn nearly through. The cable was shredded and splayed with the outer casing completely gone from about an 8" section. I replaced the cable, routing it properly which completely eliminated the shift problems. I can't believe that it hadn't been discovered in over 8 trips to three different dealers and one back to the original factory!!! Live and learn.

I don't think this problem is limited to the Bravo III though. An improperly routed cable will do the same thing on any application.

Good Luck with the repair.
Hillbilly is right, replacement of the shift cable is a tough job in most boats without engine removal. Mine would have been impossible. You couldn't even see the shift cable with the engine installed.

Last edited by DrNautica; 03-23-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Registered

Thanks for your responses. My mechanic is pulling the boat from the water later this week (pending the steering fix) and will do whatever he has to fix it at his cost.