Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
S.B.I.  To race in Alabama >

S.B.I. To race in Alabama

Notices

S.B.I. To race in Alabama

Old 06-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Hotfoot

Originally posted by ScottB
Nice to hear from you again too. I know you are intelligent enough to realize the rules are seldom enforced in SBI........I could be wrong
Which organization do you race with and what rules are you saying were not enforced and by whom?????

Old 06-07-2003, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have raced Both, and SBI does not enforce Factory or P class rules. In fact, they barely inspected my boat. They never looked for 2 kills switches or bilge pump, sea anchor, tow line, extinguisher, vhf radio, firewall, etc etc.
To the best of my knowlegde there wasn't a scale in Deerfield last year. Should I go on?
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy both Sanctioning bodies and have had a great time racing. APBA is racing and, like I have said before, SBI is a party and a POKER RUN not a race.
I just choose to race this year.

PS If your racing in the Super V classes it is a race, but thats it
Old 06-07-2003, 08:02 PM
xtremeracingf1

Hey guys its great to see all the positive imput that everyone always has about APBA,and SBI. Its no wonder the attendance keeps going down at all the races,and fans that read this must think we are all a joke. If we were all more positive, and up beat,and leader and not followers it might put a positive spin on Offshore Racing...what an idea.United we stand divided we fall,and thats for APBA,or SBI.I think at one time or another we've all raced either sanction,and some of us both at the same time,so why not try and put a positive spin on thing.
I guess what I'm saying is you have nothing good to say dont say anything.

Frank

Old 06-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Registered

Frank,
No disrespect intended, but the numbers speak for themselves. So far, two national events and less than a 20 boat turnout. Scott B is right. Why have a rule book if you can make your own rules or not have them enforced. Racing can only be fun and competitive if the rules are enforced and the teams learn to follow them. Bottom line for me...I want to race against many other boats and have some competition. Im not saying that there wasnt competition in my class, but there is certainly lack of competition in others, including yours. While I, personally, have no hard feelings for SBI, I feel the turnout is not worth the long drive for. It must be especially frustrating for you being the only one in your class. I know it would be for me. How can we be positive about something that just doesnt show signs of getting any better. If it did, I would be the first to help build it up.

once again, please dont take this personally. Its just my opinion based on the facts that I have seen.

Regards

Last edited by BRUCE SEROFF; 06-07-2003 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:11 PM
xtremeracingf1

Bruce,

You guys are missing the point,why does anyone feel it necessary to bad mouth the way things are being done if you are not even racing that saction.I seems to me that everyone that is racing SBI is very happy and doesnt really want anything to change. We love the way John runs thing and arent complaining.
I could go on about APBA,but that would bring us right back to the point of bad mouthing and all the bad bull****,and if I'm not racing in APBA why would I want to do that. If I wanted that I would race APBA and so would everyone else.Ihave been there and done that,and lets just say it wasnt for me.
The only way we will get more boat is teams like Smitty and Augie that are will to race both and pull double headers.You keep on saying about the number odf boats,believe me I've spoke to John he doesnt want 50-75 boats he couldnt couldnt handle it.We are all a very close family and look out for each other and to some of us that is what racing is all about.When I spoke to Augie in Ft. Myers his exact words to were it was great to be back home...so I guess he doesnt think its all so bad.
Bruce believe I do understand where you guys are coming from but understand we are all doing fine and having a blast,and not really looking for rule changes and the book to be through at us if thats wht we wanted we would be in APBA.
Yes I agree a few more boats would be great and if you guys rallyed together and came down with 5-6 boat and I hear Mel is back on board it would take long and we would be at 30 boat and that would be perfect. Bruce for some of us it not where you race it how you race.

By the way congratulations Trent said you guys ran a great race.Got to love it,no place better then First place....

Frank
Koolhand

Last edited by xtremeracingf1; 06-07-2003 at 09:14 PM.

Old 06-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Registered

Frank, I only respond to threads that are derogitory such as Hotfoots threads and a few others. I do not run around bad mouthing, only responding. I have enjoyed SBI and I like what you guys are about. If there were no negative posts I wouldn't start one.
As a matter of fact. If you look at the anti APBA or SBI posts that are started, 9 out of 10 are attacking APBA and Michael Alweiss.
A few of us respond to them.
I never hear a bad word about SBI in the Pits of any race so don't go saying you left because of all the bad mouthing because it simply isn't true. If you enjoy what your doing, keep it up and be safe. I know we will cross paths sooner or later at a divisional and we can have a beer.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Registered

Scott....I agree with you

Frank,

I guess I understand to a certain degree. It looks to me like its more a case of personal preference. I would have been down in Ft Myers with the boyz had I not broke a drive. Im just saying, I have raced both Sanctions as well as others have. And in My opinion, I like the big show. Its perfectly understandable if John doesnt want 50 boats. I dont have a problem with that. I just felt that I would give APBA a try this year and also race SBI if it were convienient or if APBA didnt work out. That doesnt mean I would not come out for any SBI events. Im just focusing on being competitive in APBA right now. I dont understand one thing though. you say "its not where you race but how you race." So, why would you race F-1 with no other boats in your class? Why not just run P-4 and show evryone what youve got? Dont get me wrong, Im not dumpin on you. Im just tryin to understand why you would go out and spend all that time and money to race against no one. That just not fun in my opinion. And this is suppose to be fun. God knows, we arent making any money doing it. If your having fun, great. Who am I to judge? But Im sure it would be alot more fun to take first place against a handful of boats.

Regards
Old 06-07-2003, 10:27 PM
xtremeracingf1

Bruce,

I agree but John had said there was a few new F1 boat registered and I was hoping if I hung in they would show up.I guess it wouldnt be a bad Idea,and if there isnt any others in Marathon it would make sence to race P4.

Frank

Old 06-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Speaking from the side of a promoter, sponsors count the number of boats on the race course. Races with 20 or less boats don't appeal to sponsors. Its not enough bang for the buck to make them happy. The fans loose interest in small turnouts and then the sponsor backs away the next year.

More boats = more excitement for the fans, who buys the sponsors products- that's the cycle. You really need 35+ boats to put on a great show.

Now the question is why are more boats in one place versus the other? I believe the answer is rule enforcement. Racers want to know the other guy isn't cheating. Following this thinking, the group who doesn't do tight inspections and rarely penalizes anyone would have fewer boats than the group that enforces the rules.

Additionally, one group embraces the media, freely gives interviews, and allows reporters terrific access to the events. The other group turns away exposure in boating related magazines, refuses to give interviews and could care less if the media covered the event or not. Rather you would expect the small group to be screaming for attention.

One group tries to put on a fair boat race while the other group thinks of itself as an "Extreme Motorsport", about the same as a monster truck show.

One redeeming factor about the smaller, quieter, group with the loose rules...their races are generally more fun to attend. Everything surrounding the race is more fun. The Pits, the parties, the people.

They are two different companies supplying racers with two totally different products. One group's product is to give racers a great weekend away from home. The other group forces their racers to put on a fair races for the fans to watch. The racers are almost treated as a second class citizens in favor of the fans and sponsors.

As a racer, I'd go wherever I could find the most boats racing in my class.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:04 AM
Registered

Frank...

Good luck down in Marathon. I hope it works out either way, F-1 or P-4.

Be safe and have fun. thats what its all about.

Regards

Quick Reply: S.B.I. To race in Alabama

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.