Notices

Whats Up with TV

Old 12-27-2003, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Whats Up with TV

As I watched the Speed channel this morning watching formula -1 boat racing, it started to make me wonder

The show had two hours covering one class of racing, one full race, and it was surprisingly interesting for small boats running in circles. These guys and girls are running over 145MPH was way cool and exciting

Now I am an offshore fanatic but

I watched Orange Beach Offshore race last weekend on speed. This show was like a highlight video for the offshore racing series

No class was shown racing for more than 7 minutes in a one hour time frame

The show covered Performance, (quick snippet) Factory classes, V, Cat, and Super Cat (little longer coverage)

All packed in a one hour show. Along with the promotions, and interviews it was very disappointing

It would have been much more enjoyable as a 2 hour show
or broke up into two one hour viewings

You see Baja road racing on TV for 2 hours, The Drakar race is to be televised over 7 days next week

BMX and skateboarders get at least an hour

I know TV is important to the sport and I am fully aware of the cost but showing what is tantamount to a preview show really isn’t watching a race it is watching a promotional review show

All this talk about TV I wonder from those who deal with sponsors
Have your sponsors been satisfied with the coverage they got when the races they went to were televised??? Are they happy with a quick blow by and that is it?

I understand the costs are large to say the least but aren’t we better to focus on more real racing and fewer times shown

I understand Orange Beach is to be run tomorrow morning again

I for one will be glued to the TV tommorow morning
as I am a true addict but I can’t help but hope that we see a bit more racing as opposed to a promo show in the future

Just my .03 cents (Inflation)

Marc
Old 12-27-2003, 08:04 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that show covered all 17 classes that ran on Wed.

How many classes were in the Formula 1 race? Uh... one? Supertight racing, lots of turns. The race is broadcast live into like 20 countries.

If you ever expect to see offshore racing with a TV fan following, it's gonna need to come down to one class on TV. SuperCat is the only class that could build a following with people unlike you and me.

You and I could actually be entertained by watching a P5 race, right? Most won't. Especially not 2 minutes worth.

Show a Supercat race from start to finish and maybe an audience will follow. For now, just be glad you have Orange Beach to watch. Key West will follow in about a month.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:31 PM
Registered

Well I have just watched the second show on orange beach
The second day of racing

The coverage was for F-1, F-2, Super V, Super V-Light and a snip of Performance

This is the results of time coverage of boats actually running on the race coarse

This was very unscientific using a regular watch so I give the numbers a factor of accuracy within a ½ minute or so

1) General Commercials as well as Promos on city of Orange Beach --20 Minutes

Actual Racing shown

2) Performance Class – 10 to 20 seconds

3) F-1--7 Minutes

4) F-2 –4 Minutes

5) Super V – 10 Minutes

6) Super V Light – 4 minutes

No Super Cat Or Super Cat Light
I would guess they will be run on another Show
the good news will be more racing (I hope) due to less classes running

they are on there 3 hour of go-cart racing on speed right now hmmmmmmm
Old 12-28-2003, 02:47 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Marc,
Funny, I had the exact same thoughts while watching the Sprints right before the Orange Beach race. Now those guys are crazy fokers! Personnaly, I turn away from the TV when the F classes are not running. Just no interest in the canopied boats.
So by your numbers, I got to watch 11 min total. Kinda hard to build a following at these numbers.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:29 PM
Trim it Up!
Platinum Member

...so write or E-mail Speed Channel and tell them
your concerns. They need to hear from us.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:30 PM
Trim it Up!
Platinum Member

"We know how passionate our audience is about their favorite SPEED Channel programs and we have the e-mail to prove it. So we decided to do something about it. As a SPEED Channel Insider you will have exclusive access to our brand new e-mail reminder system. Yep that's right, we have now made it easy to catch all your favorite SPEED Channel programs every week, even when the schedule changes. Just indicate below all the programs you would like to be reminded of and we'll send you an e-mail 24 hours prior to the broadcast time for each one, each and every time it shows. In addition we will send out special weekly and monthly previews for all the major race series so you can plan ahead and be sure to catch each and every event. Now you have no excuse if you ever miss your favorite SPEED Channel programming again."

NASCAR Winston Cup Replay
AMA 600 Supersport
AMA Superbike
APBA Offshore ***
American Le Mans Series
ARCA Stock Car Racing
Bike Week
Car And Track
Championship Off-Road

You can even receive their E-mails or talk on their message board to other Speed Enthusiasts.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:24 AM
Registered

Kitten thanks
Old 12-29-2003, 05:25 AM
Registered

where do we go to get this service ??
Old 12-29-2003, 11:54 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Whats Up with TV

Originally posted by Boatme
As I watched the Speed channel this morning watching formula -1 boat racing, it started to make me wonder

The show had two hours covering one class of racing, one full race, and it was surprisingly interesting for small boats running in circles. These guys and girls are running over 145MPH was way cool and exciting

Flash!!!!!!!........
Formula one tunnel boat racing is Better than offshore .....

because:

1. The random viewer can understand it.......even if he or she doesn't own a boat. (The main key to attracting diverse sponsors)

2. The drivers are all......very talented.....well funded...and had to fight their way into the big leagues.
Formula One Tunnel boats are , by far, more difficult to drive than offshore boats (yes.....I've raced in both...so have Laith Pharoan, JT, Joey Imprescia, Felix Serralles, Bill Sirois, Michael Seebold, Reggie, Bennie Robertson... etc etc.)

3. The tunnel boats are much quicker than offshore boats....in fact, they are the fastest turning race vehicles of any kind...on earth....and their straightaway speeds 130-140 are reached in a fraction of the distance of any offshore cat. Since they are only 16-18 feet long and weigh under 1000 lbs (with driver)...the scale speed is easily double that of the fastest offshore cat (Callan included).

4. The races are much more exciting from a live spectator stand point...... since you can generally see most of the course from one vantage point......and you can view the LeMans start from only a few feet away...if you get a good seat.

I'm not denigrating offshore...merely responding to your "small boats running in circles" jab...which is not realistic...nor merited.

If we all increased our knowledge, we might gain much needed respect for other forms of boat racing. Historically, offshore racers have failed to gain good rapport with other APBA divisions because of an overabundance of bravado..... larger, often slower boats...and "control by committee" within the cockpit.
This coupled to big, and, in many cases, unneccessary budgets ( bringing three tractor trailers plus helicopters/Harleys/Ferraris to a race...to support one boat...is rarely sensible...nor does it impress most lifelong boat racers).

The issue , very simply put is this.

If an exciting, viewer friendly form of boat racing like Formula One ...has yet to capture the American viewer......The highly complex, overly racer friendly, offshore offerings... may face a long wait before succeeding.

T2x
Old 12-29-2003, 12:22 PM
Registered

I have been racing offshore for 4 years and totally agree with T2X. My very good friend, the late Bobby Humphrey raced and was a world champoin in F1.
He had worked his way up from Kneeldowns to F1 and was the best driver I had personally ever known. I wish I was 1/2 as good as he was.

Much better TV

Quick Reply: Whats Up with TV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.