Notices

Looking up north

Old 11-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 26sxl
Hey Mark.let's not get to carried away!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I know this is an old post but wanted to give my 2cents.

I think if someone wants to spend time in n MI for a weekend a month whatever. Torch Lake is the first place I would go. DId you know National Geographic mag rated it the 3rd most beautiful inland lake in the world?

I have an office in bellaire and drive to alden on my lunch hour in the summer and just sit at the launch and look at the water. The color of the water is awesome.

2nd choice would be Lake Charlevoix with access to Lake MI.

Never Been to Munising in the summer but went there last week and I am sure its really cool too. The only problem with the big lakes is if you plan on swimming. THey can stay pretty COLD!

Another lake I really like is Higgins lake they have 2 state campgrounds and if someone wants to go there I would suggest makeing the reservation 6 months before the trip. that is as soon as they allow reservations.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Registered

I have been thinking about putting the boat in Torch Lake for a few days over 4th july weekend. Will a 38 top gun make it from Elk lake to Torch Lake with no problem?
I want to do the Boyne Thunder poker run the following weekend.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dnebo
I have been thinking about putting the boat in Torch Lake for a few days over 4th july weekend. Will a 38 top gun make it from Elk lake to Torch Lake with no problem?
I want to do the Boyne Thunder poker run the following weekend.
I was there last year for the 4th, the lake and ramps were packed. I launched at Skegmog and it was really tight with for my 32' and crew cab long bed truck. There are alot of big boats on the lake so I am sure you could find a good place to launch.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I too want to bring my 38 up for 4th of July and do Boyne the following weekend. I haven't been to Torch since getting this boat, because I'm not sure where to launch at? I don't think going from Elk would be a good idea, there are so many stumps in the water. And the Torch River if crowded could be a nightmare. That's about a 30 minute idle. It's too bad it's so hard because running Torch would be awesome, it's so long you could just hold her open for miles. I think it's roughly 28 miles from end to end.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i also plan on doing torch 4 july weekend i launch at luhrs its a deep ramp and have no problem with the 29 cc.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Registered

I will see you up there. If you dont see me listen for me. I am a little worried about the noise laws.
bill63 I will be leaving from Rockwood.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Registered

Dont quote me on this but Launching on clam lake may be an option. google this... Clam Lake Access - Clam Lake Road.

another option is to call Dewitt Marina. They can tell you how to get a big boat in that lake. My best guess would be the clam lake access though.

i have never launched from this site but i have been there a few times. Some negatives would be the parking lot probably only holds 25 trucks so get there early.

Another option would be to launch in Lake Bellare at fishermans paradise. In the past this would be impossible but they just dredged it this past fall in late october.

Finally, there are some big boats on Torch Lake and they get them in there some how.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by NKissau
I too want to bring my 38 up for 4th of July and do Boyne the following weekend. I haven't been to Torch since getting this boat, because I'm not sure where to launch at? I don't think going from Elk would be a good idea, there are so many stumps in the water. I think it's roughly 28 miles from end to end.
From what I am told by "Perfectmix" (he owns a 38' Powerquest and is a local up there) you can launch a 40+' boat on Elk Lake with no problems and pass through the stump field with no problem with a 38' boat----just move along at IDLE/NO WAKE speeds, stay in the middle of the stump field route and you should not have any problems. I have been through the stump field several times now with my 32' A/T and up thru the Torch River and into Torch Lake. You just have to be wise about it and watch what you're doing.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I have not been down that direction in a few years, but I understand the Skegemog stump field is pretty well marked - if you stay in the "channel" you should have no problem if you take proper care. Clam Lake access might work, too.

I hadn't heard about Fisherman's Paradise on Lake Bellaire. Of course, to get to Clam (and Torch) from there, you'll have to go through the winding Grass River. If water levels are OK I guess it would be alright...the biggest boat I've ever seen go through there was about a 30' cabin cruiser, but hey. What's the avg. depth through there...4.5-6 feet?

If in Bellaire, stop at Short's brewery. Wanted to bring a couple of cases back home when we were up last year, but returning on a Sunday, they were closed...

Quick Reply: Looking up north

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.