Notices

Torch Lake MI boaters?

Old 05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mark,whats with this MichaelMoore sh@t? Guess we'll be seein you in a new ride on the water this summer hea? You can plan that any time the way the weather has been lately.Theres a couple of places to launch at the so. end,Aarwood trail access sight,Luhrs Landing.They are no big lake michigan ramps but if you can handle your truck and trailer ok they work jus fine..
Old 05-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Idle speeds, drives trimed just to be safe, and stay in the center and you shouldn't have any problems.

I never had a problem with my 32' AT, and I know of a 38' Powerquest that goes through there all the time.

A word to the wise, as you APPROACH the STUMP FIELD from Elk Lake, it is wise to come OFF PLANE and at idle speeds 100-150 yards BEFORE you actually enter the stump field (you will see the markers). That is what I do---and I do not care what the other boats are doing....most of the time they are smaller boats anyway.

I know of someone who was just slowing down and coming off plane just before he entered the stump field and one of his drives hit a stump. So, don't rush it, stay focused and use common sense. Even so, if I owned a 51' OL I would still feel very confident coming through the stump field. As you have said; it is well marked and way more than ample room for 2-way boat traffic. Most of the time you will see other traffic coming through.

Also, Lake Skegmog is pretty murkey water...nothing like Elk Lake or Torch. As I have looked over the side while going through the stump field, it almost looks as if I catch quick glimspes of the bottom here and there, but I am not sure because of the clarity of the water the bottom appears to be black muck...but not totally sure of what I am looking at...the murkey water or the black muck bottom.

Once you begin to enter the Torch River it seems the scare of hitting a stump is over with, however I still keep my drives trimmed. There are a few shallow spots just up river from Luhr's Landing...mostly muck bottom with some weeds. You will want to hug the left side of the river as you go up river after passing Luhr's Landing. It seems that most (not all) boat traffic know to hang to the left side...even so still I manage to stir up a little muck. Just do NOT follow a pontoon boat!

Once you get passed that and a few more minutes of idle time you will be approaching the Rapid River on the right side which T's right into the Torch River---this is where all the murkey water comes from. And once you get passed the Rapid River it is like you hit crystal clear blue water from heaven---with nothing but a sandy bottom with some pea sized gravel here and there. It is truly almost unbelievable! Makes you just want to dive right in and go for a swim....from there Torch Lake is only about maybe 1/4-1/3 of a mile away.

Here's a few photos in succession. The top left photo as were going through the stump field towards the Torch River and eventually Torch Lake...

Thanks so much. That is the best, most useful guide to navigating that stretch of water that anyone's ever posted. Of course, I can never look at too many pictures of that area, either - it really is something else!

The only other comparable stretch I've passed through in that area is the Grass River, connecting Clam to Lake Bellaire. It was narrower and not too deep - I've only gone through myself in a big rented pontoon, but passed some 24-28' cruisers who made it up and down there...
Old 05-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JWoolever
I live near the area and get out there and Elk Lake a bit, dont know of any special events yet.
Maybe see some of you on the lake this summer.
I think I passed you in the Torch River Sunday?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Default DOCKSIDE restaurant Torch Lake/Clam River

Here's a few shots of the Dockside restaurant/bar on the Clam River just off of Torch Lake. The water is plenty deep enough to tie off your boat here to grab a bite to eat---Obivously, it will greatly depend on how many other boats are tied off there at the time as well which can complicate manuvering as well as other traffic passing through the channel from both directions at the same time...and that current can really mess you up fast.

It's best to have a little plan, your fenders and lines ready BEFORE you get in this tight spot if you plan to tie off at the dock to eat at the restaurant. You have to be nimble or you can find yourself in a bit of a mess very quickly----The current can be a bit tricky here. Make sure you have some deck hands at the ready.

I usually drop someone off at the end of the dock first before going in---so we have somone to throw a line to once we are commited further in the channel.

Here are some photos with lots of different angles...
Attached Thumbnails Torch Lake MI boaters?-torch-lake-area-041.jpg   Torch Lake MI boaters?-torch-lake-area-050.jpg   Torch Lake MI boaters?-torch-lake-area-040.jpg  

Torch Lake MI boaters?-torch-lake-area-047.jpg   Torch Lake MI boaters?-torch-lake-area-042.jpg  

Last edited by KAAMA; 05-24-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Registered

Here's a few shots of the Dockside restaurant/bar on the Clam River just off of Torch Lake. The water is plenty deep enough to tie off your boat here to grab a bite to eat---Obivously, it will greatly depend on how many other boats are tied off there at the time as well which can complicate manuvering as well as other traffic passing through the channel from both directions at the same time...and that current can really mess you up fast.

It's best to have a little plan, your fenders and lines ready BEFORE you get in this tight spot if you plan to tie off at the dock to eat at the restaurant. You have to be nimble or you can find yourself in a bit of a mess very quickly----The current can be a bit tricky here. Make sure you have some deck hands at the ready.

I usually drop someone off at the end of the dock first before going in---so we have somone to throw a line to once we are commited further in the channel.

Here are some photos with lots of different angles...
Nice pics!!!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Registered

Big weekend on Torch!!!!
Whos all going to be there?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

And of course the well known "Sand Bar" hang out on Torch Lake...

By the way, does anyone know if they have a dock at this launching site now? Also, how long of a boat/trailer will this launch ramp accomodate?
Attached Thumbnails Torch Lake MI boaters?-torch-lake-area-057.jpg  
Old 05-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By the way, does anyone know if they have a dock at this launching site now? Also, how long of a boat/trailer will this launch ramp accomodate?
depends on traffic, and Im sure you know the parking situation. but put in a borrowed tooner there last year (24') and was a pain in the azz trying to turn around and launch with others in there. long trailer would probably be hanging out in the channel though others have said they launched 30+ footers in there
Old 05-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Registered

Mark,used to be able to but the power loaders have formed quite a bank up.Best to launch early also.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Registered

Yes, there's a dock located there, one sider, shallow launch,we had a tough time unloading our little 202, i would say max 24' max shallow draft!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.