Notices

Toronto Trip

Old 04-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pleasure Craft Operators card is a FEDERAL thing. Out of country visitors are not required to have one.

A Toronto Harbour licence is required by the Toronto Port Authority BUT, I have never heard of a visitor from ther US being hassled for one.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toronto Harbour License

As I understand it, our American friends are not being hassled for the new federal operators license. I'm curious though, so I might call about this tomorrow. I don't know if Ontario Place is considered part of the Toronto Harbour, I'll call and check tomorrow for sure. What I do know, is that once you enter the eastern or western gap into Toronto, you are required to have a Toronto Harbour "power vessel operators permit". As I mentioned, you can call in advance 416-778-1230 and get a 14 day temporary pass if you are visiting. However, as mentioned earlier, our friendly enforcement group can get difficult if they want to if your don't have it. Like all things, those that are less pleasant when dealing with our enforcement get a rougher ride.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fearless010
As I understand it, our American friends are not being hassled for the new federal operators license. I'm curious though, so I might call about this tomorrow. I don't know if Ontario Place is considered part of the Toronto Harbour, I'll call and check tomorrow for sure. What I do know, is that once you enter the eastern or western gap into Toronto, you are required to have a Toronto Harbour "power vessel operators permit". As I mentioned, you can call in advance 416-778-1230 and get a 14 day temporary pass if you are visiting. However, as mentioned earlier, our friendly enforcement group can get difficult if they want to if your don't have it. Like all things, those that are less pleasant when dealing with our enforcement get a rougher ride.
As far as I know Ontario place is not considered part of the inner harbour, but is inside the limits of the outer harbour that goes all the way to the entrance to the humber river. Toronto harbour is from the humber river to a point on the lake 1 mile south of Gibralter point then out east to victoria park. And that whole area has a max 10mph speed limit.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Registered

I am going to have all my bases covered when I make the voyage to Toronto this summer. I am glad I put this out there the info has been great.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
The card is the pleasure craft operators card given out by the Canadian power and sail squadron. When I took it is was $35, regular questions about navigation and safety. The card is mandatory but depending on your age you may not need one yet since they had different dates for when you were required to get it depending on age. However, they may have fully implemented it for everyone by now. It is not a Toronto law, it is Ontario, the only Toronto license you need is your harbor license.

The harbor license is quick, I went last June, wrote a test in 5 minutes and took a quick spin in a 30ft hunter sailboat, maybe 30 minutes total, I did not have to sit through a 2 hour class. But I paid $25 extra to go at my convenience.

I have got the Pleasure Craft Operator Card,have had it for 4 or 5 years... Just making sure the feds haven't brought out something else (another card) with out letting the public know so they can grab a few more $$$$ from us on the water....
It has been known to happen,if ya know what I mean....
Old 04-27-2011, 03:44 AM
Registered

Temper,
The "Power vessel operators permit" has been a requirement for anyone operating a motorboat in Toronto Harbour for many years. This has nothing to do with the new pleasure craft operators card. In fact, the Toronto Harbour operators permit was a requirement long before the new federal program went into effect.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Fearless010
Temper,
The "Power vessel operators permit" has been a requirement for anyone operating a motorboat in Toronto Harbour for many years. This has nothing to do with the new pleasure craft operators card. In fact, the Toronto Harbour operators permit was a requirement long before the new federal program went into effect.

Thanks Fearless
I was starting to think that I had missed something.
So d@m many hoops to jump through anymore, seems funny though I worked the Air show last year ( taking the pilots back and forth from Ontario Place to Island airport) by boat and nobody ever asked me about anything other than asking me if I had all my safety equipment....

Thanks for clarifying things
Stan
Old 04-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Temper Tantrum
Thanks Fearless
I was starting to think that I had missed something.
So d@m many hoops to jump through anymore, seems funny though I worked the Air show last year ( taking the pilots back and forth from Ontario Place to Island airport) by boat and nobody ever asked me about anything other than asking me if I had all my safety equipment....

Thanks for clarifying things
Stan
And thats all you will probably ever be ever asked for, if anything. Worst case picture is being painted here.

Been inside that harbour many many times and have never been approached.

Most important thing to watch for is no wake, so you dont disturb the kayakers and mini sailboaters as they make their way to the island to hug a tree.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by catastrophe
And thats all you will probably ever be ever asked for, if anything. Worst case picture is being painted here.

Been inside that harbour many many times and have never been approached.

Most important thing to watch for is no wake, so you dont disturb the kayakers and mini sailboaters as they make their way to the island to hug a tree.
I once heard it called the Korean rowboater slalom course lol.

But thats exactly true if you arent on plane and you wave to the cops chances are they wont bother you.

A friend of mine from up North was in Toronto with his old boat (35 Cigarette) back in the mid/late 90's and took my Dad out for a ride on Lake Ontario.

Not knowing the rules aout no wake they came into Toronto harbour from the East and blasted right through at about 80mph.

The cops caught up with them later that day and were not impressed but they let them off with a warning since they honestly didnt know the rule and werent really close to anyone.

I wouldnt bet on cops being that easy going anymore, most of the old school guys (like my uncle) are retired now and it is more of a united nations boys and girls club that is less than friendly to affluent white guys in flashy boats lol.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Registered

Alright, I think I got it. Slow down a mile away from harbor, no wake, watch out for tree-huggers, make sure the boat is not loud,
when I call in tell them about my love for maple syrup.
Got it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.