Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
Wolverine Warehouse - My boat and others got broken into! >

Wolverine Warehouse - My boat and others got broken into!

Notices

Wolverine Warehouse - My boat and others got broken into!

Old 12-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

also had that happened to me a couple years ago... they stole drives from 5 different customer boat. in canada, they call their insurance, no deductible to them, and their insurance sued my insurance, my insurance then charged me my deductible wich was 10k, and the claim was on my file making my premium go pretty high the year after...

and, one customer said I planned all this, in order to be paid by insurance to fix their boat and sell new drives, and also selling their original drives on the black market...

since then, I decided not to store any other boats...
Old 01-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like an inside job. How the hell would they pull the motors out of a boat with out a fork lift? Of course they have a few forklifts on site..... But the way they pack things in there (very tight), was there area around the formula to get a hi-lo or some sort of lift in there?? I was just about to call them to get a quote to store the 30' Concept I just picked up. I had stored there a few years ago, and felt a few of the guys there seemed a bit shady. If they are pulling inboard motors, then it would be very easy to pull the OptiMax 225s off the back of my new (used, new to me) Concept..... I guess I will shrink-wrap and store at my father-in-laws house.

One thing stands out to me... Wolverine called you to tell you the carb had been stolen off of your boat? How would they know that? Did they open the engine hatches of everyone's boats to determine if anything was stolen? Of course they didn't. The fact that engines were stolen, and they called you to tell you your carb was stolen, screams inside job (in my opinion)... If there was a legitimate break in and they stole the engines out of the Formula, than they probably left the cover off and removed the engine hatch, so that would be obvious a theft had occurred. But to just steal a carb, they would just open the engine hatch, remove carb, and leave. Was your engine hatch left up? Just seems funny they knew to "look" in your engine compartment to see that a carb was taken...... If your batteries were disconnected, than your hatch would have had to have been manually lifted, therefore it would not stay open on its own... Just saying this sounds shady, to say the least..

Last edited by low_psi; 01-03-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
That sounds like an inside job. How the hell would they pull the motors out of a boat with out a fork lift? Of course they have a few forklifts on site..... But the way they pack things in there (very tight), was there area around the formula to get a hi-lo or some sort of lift in there?? I was just about to call them to get a quote to store the 30' Concept I just picked up. I had stored there a few years ago, and felt a few of the guys there seemed a bit shady. If they are pulling inboard motors, then it would be very easy to pull the OptiMax 225s off the back of my new (used, new to me) Concept..... I guess I will shrink-wrap and store at my father-in-laws house.

One thing stands out to me... Wolverine called you to tell you the carb had been stolen off of your boat? How would they know that? Did they open the engine hatches of everyone's boats to determine if anything was stolen? Of course they didn't. The fact that engines were stolen, and they called you to tell you your carb was stolen, screams inside job (in my opinion)... If there was a legitimate break in and they stole the engines out of the Formula, than they probably left the cover off and removed the engine hatch, so that would be obvious a theft had occurred. But to just steal a carb, they would just open the engine hatch, remove carb, and leave. Was your engine hatch left up? Just seems funny they knew to "look" in your engine compartment to see that a carb was taken...... If your batteries were disconnected, than your hatch would have had to have been manually lifted, therefore it would not stay open on its own... Just saying this sounds shady, to say the least..
Congrats on the concept!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Registered

Still have to go pick it up off the east coast. It in VA....
Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, I have my boat stored there. Wondering if I should go down and check it out. How the hell did they get two engines out of a formula...the boats are very packed in.

How many boats total? Did you boat have a cover on it, not that it should need one

The place did seem a bit disorganized two years ago when I went there, so I didn't go last year. Went in this year and it seemed a bit more organized with a full-time manager on payroll.

The first year...i went to pick up my boat and they couldn't find it. Pulled up a boat that wasn't mine and never asked for paperwork. I could have easily left with the boat...no questions asked.

When we did actually find mine...same thing, no paperwork/ID nothing just hooked my boat up and left.

Was the formula a 357...if so the boat is very near mine.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Banned

I have a friend that had both his carbs and distributors stolen from his CC Scarab during this same incident.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Gold Member

Need to look at your contract, which it appears that you did and found out that the storage company is not responsible. Nice that they are willing to work with you on your deductible. However..... your insurance company will most likely go after them to collect for the damage to your boat. You can not sign away your insurance companies right to subrogate against them for any damage. Someone in this thread also mentioned that their storage place makes them get an endorsement from their insurance company as well as they verify coverage every 4 months, this is most likely because they have had them endorse their policy with a "waiver of subrogation" endorsement so that the insurance company can not go back to them and they verify it to make sure that the insurance company has not changed and is still in force. With all of that said, it may be still possible to find a way to have Wolverine Warehouse pay for your damages, again depends on the wording in your storage contract. Let me know if you have any questions, I do know a little bit about this, would be happy to discuss with you.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by brian41
I have a friend that had both his carbs and distributors stolen from his CC Scarab during this same incident.
Hey,
Brian do you know of any other indoor storage facilities in the area? I was going to call Wolverine, but after the recent events.... The Optimax motors on the back of my newly purchased Concept would be really easy to make disappear...... And I don't trust anything that goes on over at Wolverine.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi

I have to agree with you on this. Last year was the last time I kept my boat there and when I was their doing some work on my boat I seen the owners son around 19 to 23 years old and his 4 friends going from boat to boat looking in them with cigarettes hanging out of their mouths right in front of me ( I was shocked ) So I went to the owner and said something to him and he acted like it was no big deal. (WOW) So I decided right then to have him pull my boat out so I could take it somewhere else at the end of February. Since I did not bring my boat batteries with me to lift my drive up I told him I would pull my truck Batt to lift the drive, he tells me he will pull it outside first then I can lift the drive. I agreed but told him to watch the skeg and not let it hit the ground, well sure as s*** he hit the ground I yelled STOP he dragged it so hard on the ground the concrete floor even chipped up. Let's just say we had some words, Then he told me not to worry about it it's just a skeg and doesn't do anything. The place is very unprofessional.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Registered

Well I just went back there yesterday with my upholstry guy to get the hatch off my boat that was broken when they forced it open. I also was able to get my copy of the police report. Reading the report, the whole thing is fishy and screams inside job. My boat is a 1987. There are other much newer 2000's era boats that were listed as being tampered with, but nothing mentioned as being stolen. Only boats with missing property was the Formula 357 with the engines, the 90 Scarab with the carbs and distributors, and my 87 Baja wich had the engine hatch broken, carb and distributor stolen. Bleach was also poured all over my engine area of my boat.

The police report states there was 2 FAKE cameras on the office of the place, they were both batted off. The Forklift there was used to remove the engines.

I called the Lincoln Park police department and they were very unhelpfull and had nothing to offer me.

Im sooooo pissed about this. Besides our 3 that got items stolen, 10 other boats are on the report as being tampered with,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.