Door County WI to Frankfort MI >

Door County WI to Frankfort MI

Notices

Door County WI to Frankfort MI

Old 09-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kvogt
If you are crossing by yourself get a sea anchor and a PLB. It is also not a bad idea to have some big float toys on board. Remember cell phones are useless around 10 miles out and your VHF probably doesn't have a tall enough antenna to reach much farther.
July is usually the best month to cross the lake
I was reading my ship-to-shore manual and it says with that proper antenna on high output the range is generally up to 25 miles. Have not tested that but sure m curious. if that is the case that will just about give you 50 miles of coverage. may have a 10 mile window with no coverage.

Last edited by drumerjb; 09-11-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: more info
Old 09-11-2018, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

or you could do this and avoid the fresh water whales that are known to ram boats just south of Beaver Island.
https://www.ssbadger.com/
Old 09-11-2018, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by drumerjb
I was reading my ship-to-shore manual and it says with that proper antenna on high output the range is generally up to 25 miles. Have not tested that but sure m curious. if that is the case that will just about give you 50 miles of coverage. may have a 10 mile window with no coverage.
Maybe from a fly bridge. An antenna mounted on a go fast usually doesn't have that much range. A hand held only reaches about 5 miles.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
or you could do this and avoid the fresh water whales that are known to ram boats just south of Beaver Island.
https://www.ssbadger.com/
Did the badger have a incident
Old 09-11-2018, 08:38 PM
Registered

Maybe from a fly bridge. An antenna mounted on a go fast usually doesn't have that much range. A hand held only reaches about 5 miles.
Hand held correct me if I m wrong are 2 or 5 watt. Ship to shore are 25 watt on high power & 5 watt on regular. Should be 5 x s further.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Registered

If you are crossing by yourself get a sea anchor and a PLB. It is also not a bad idea to have some big float toys on board. Remember cell phones are useless around 10 miles out and your VHF probably doesn't have a tall enough antenna to reach much farther.
July is usually the best month to cross the lake
Whats a PLB? I m new here..
Old 09-12-2018, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personal life beacon or something like that.

When activated it transmits a signal on an emergency frequency so you can be found.

Not a bad idea.

I wasnt aware that lakers hitting other vessels was a semi-common occurrence.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The weather is looking good for this weekend - go for it. Tell some friends you're going, an idea of your planned route and times of departure/arrival, call when you get there/back,etc... an informal float plan of sorts. You'll have a blast, do it.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bohmi
The weather is looking good for this weekend - go for it. Tell some friends you're going, an idea of your planned route and times of departure/arrival, call when you get there/back,etc... an informal float plan of sorts. You'll have a blast, do it.
I agree...unfortunately I have prior obligations this weekend......isnt that how it always works? Great boat weather for when one is busy.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS496
I agree...unfortunately I have prior obligations this weekend......isnt that how it always works? Great boat weather for when one is busy.
Boy can I relate to this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.