Door County WI to Frankfort MI >

Door County WI to Frankfort MI

Notices

Door County WI to Frankfort MI

Old 09-13-2018, 12:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

The only thing that makes me nervous about that trip - especially in August - is fog. We can get it anytime but it just seems like it's a constant in August.

I bought a small FLIR device and keep it on the boat because I don't have radar and fog scares the beejeezus out of me.

I'm going to get an EPIRB, but right now I carry a "Spot" satellite messenger with us in case of an emergency in a no cell or VHF coverage area. The spot itself is relatively inexpensive, but it does require a yearly subscription.

I haven't personally navigated the Manitou's, but know plenty of people who have and as long as you have some common sense and good navigational tools you should be fine.

The problem with your trip is you're going to want to come back; our whole west coast is dotted with port towns and are huge fun. The Charlevoix, Traverse City, Bay Harbor, Harbor Springs area is truly special with water so blue you'll think you're in the Caribbean.

Mackinac is also very cool but be careful you don't hit it during the Mackinac - Chicago sailboat race; the island is over-run with boy racers whose feces are not odiferous and I've (literally) been in biker bars where the patrons are more courteous. (apologies to any sailors here but if you've been there at that time you'll know exactly what I'm talking about)

Frankfort (Stormcloud Brewing), Ludington (Ludington Bay Brewing) and traveling south down towards Grand Haven / Holland / Saugatuck / South Haven - more awesome ports with great pubs/shopping/ & people watching.

If you happen to make Ludington you can watch the Badger dock. Some people like to go to the airport and watch the planes; I could watch the Badger over & over and never get tired of the show. She comes in at a pretty good clip and drops a stern anchor to use as a pivot point and swings right around to back in to her spot.

Watch the weather and have a great trip, you'll meet a bunch of boaters and if you bring Spotted Cow you'll probably meet more than you want to

Cheers

d

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fog can be a bummer, no doubt - especially on the really calm days you'd want to choose to cross and it seems to happen more frequently with the water cooling off. Wind blows it away and the sun burns it off - usually by late morning in most cases. It seems to be the biggest problem in the morning, but when it sticks around, or comes in waves, it sucks. You never realize the importance of depth perception (and visibility in general) until you don't have it. Cherry pick your day and hopefully it's a non issue.

Idling up the shoreline in dense fog I've got my eyes on my depth finder and 360 around me looking around. It's crazy to be in 3ft of water and not see the beach - or worse, have it seem like it's a 1/4 mile away. GPS, I know, but some adventure is good for you.

Slippery, what is the model and range on the FLIR device you have? An interesting tool but I'm curious how you use it in the fog....

Hope you can make the trip SS .
Old 09-16-2018, 09:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I'll have to look it up, but it's a monocular type I got at Cabelas.

It works in the dark, I figured it would work in the fog but I've never had to use it.

I'll get it out of the safe and post the model number but I've played with it in the dark and it's like something out of a science fiction movie.

Range is going to vary depending on weather; it picks up heat, so the colder the background the better a heat source shows up but I would think the heat given off from an engine would show up in time to prevent a collision in the fog.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info. Thank you.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

FLIR Scout TK, advertised range is 100 yds.

I bought it as sort of a spur of the moment deal while at Cabelas; if you go to the FLIR website they have dedicated marine versions that are handheld.

They're not inexpensive, but they're a lot cheaper than a collision. I've used it in the woods and it's spooky; you get the heat outline of deer or squirrels ...makes 'em look like zombies & if it's cold the range is better than 100 yds.

If I ever break down and do a radar arch (and grow back my mullet lol ) I'm definitely mounting one of the FLIR marine cameras on the arch next to the radar.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info Slippery - very cool and something I wouldn't have thought of as an aid for fog or night time navigation. The reviews for that on Amazon make for interesting reading.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Awesome trip! Go for it you will love it! Sounds like a nice boat also, post pics. Randy "CNC" on here has one very similar and boats out of Ludington so maybe you will run into him and Kathy, great people.

You sound very prepared so with the addition of the good suggestions on here already I wouldn't hessitate to go.

Travel plans departure and arrival times with family or friend, if they don't hear from you in a couple hours they know to call it in.

Epirb

Sea Anchor

Octane Booster if your engines require more than 90octane.

Keep us updated!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:06 AM
Registered

I have a couple pics on my work desktop....

Here is when I picked it up.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:15 AM
Registered

That post turned out to be a jumbled mess...lol

Shockingly, I dont have any engine pics on my work computer.

I usually run it on 91 pump gas (I usually try to avoid filling up on the water if practical)..........90 would likely be fine given they are ~9.5:1 compression....good to know there is 90 in the area....is that common marine gas for northwest Michigan?

When I go to areas that I know Im going to need fuel and I know only has 87......I do my fill up with 100LL avgas before I go........that way when I pump 87 in with 1/4 tank it still averages out to more then 91 just for insurance.

I could also retard the timing a bit in high load areas of my spark map...but i have it pretty conservative as it is for anything over 80 kpa absolute manifold pressure.

Last edited by SS496; 09-19-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the best way to hook up with other boaters going across the pond? Are there group s that do regular crossing s?
Whether we stay together or not when on mi side and same with crossing back.
I m open. I just don't want to cross alone.
I'm thinking month of August.
My normal port is Port Washington or Milwaukee. But I can run out door also.
Any interest or suggestions r welcome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.