Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
Door County WI to Frankfort MI >

Door County WI to Frankfort MI

Like Tree3Likes

Door County WI to Frankfort MI

Old 04-04-2019, 09:36 AM
Registered

My Boat: 1998 Velocity 280

Just saw this thread. I boat on Lake Huron and although where I'm at it's only 30+ miles across, I know what it's like to get halfway and not see anything but water. I have my GPS tied into my radio with a registered MMSI number for my DSC. I don't have AIS yet but thinking about adding it as well. I have found that cell coverage on Lake Huron east of the Mackinac Straits is real good. I have taken many day trips across to the UP on almost dead calm to return in 3'-4's, wife was not happy. I have had break downs out in open water so I have just about a spare everything and enough tools to fix just about anything. I have found that every marina I have been to has 90 Octane, my problem is I need more. I have been carrying Octane booster to cover a full tank. This year I'm converting to a Daytona Sensors ignition that has a switched input to retard timing so I can run 90 safely. I'm planning a trip up the St Marys river to Lake Superior through the Sault locks this summer, maybe do Pictured Rocks. I have found that the weather in late August is more unpredictable in the last 5 years. I think I'm better off in late July or early August. That's just been my experience over the last 10 years in Northern Michigan.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Registered

My Boat: 2006 Donzi 35ZR

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin View Post
I'm planning a trip up the St Marys river to Lake Superior through the Sault locks this summer, maybe do Pictured Rocks. I have found that the weather in late August is more unpredictable in the last 5 years. I think I'm better off in late July or early August. That's just been my experience over the last 10 years in Northern Michigan.
Have you ran through the Soo locks before? I plan on doing this over the 4th of July, launching from Cheboygan. We ran from St. Clair to Mackinaw last year over the 4th. Lake Huron was glass all the way, both ways. Won't do it again just because i know I won't get that lucky again lol.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Registered

My Boat: 1998 Velocity 280

Originally Posted by cmoore7 View Post
Have you ran through the Soo locks before? I plan on doing this over the 4th of July, launching from Cheboygan. We ran from St. Clair to Mackinaw last year over the 4th. Lake Huron was glass all the way, both ways. Won't do it again just because i know I won't get that lucky again lol.
You must be living right, I want to go boating with you, St Clair to Mackinaw is a pretty good haul. I haven't been that far up the St Marys river yet, the only locks I have been through is the one on the Cheboygan River. I want to go later in the year so the water can warm up a bit, Lake Superior was 94% frozen this winter. I don't think the ice will be completely gone until the end of May. I have a Velocity 280 with a Mitcher T purple and lime green paint scheme that morphs into a checkered flag, I am all over from Hammond Bay Refuge Harbor to Mackinaw City and the UP from Les Cheneaux Islands to up the St Marys river. I'll keep a look out for a Donzi.
cmoore7 likes this.